What's new

AiMesh client showing multiple identically named SID's

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jim Kirk

Occasional Visitor
I have an AiMesh network with the components shown in my Signature.

When my Wifi clients (e.g. iPhone, iPad, laptop, etc.) view available networks my Mesh system shows up with just a single SID on the network connection screen of the client. No problems here, this is just as it should be.

On to the client at issue.

I have a client called a Geochron 4k World Clock which you can read about here: https://www.geochron.com/4k/

This client consists of a dedicated computer box that attaches via HDMI to my TV set to display the Geochron World clock.

Geochron clients connect to Wifi using only the 2.4GHz radio.

One version of this Geochron box uses the Android operating system and you use a menu to search your available Wifi networks and choose one to connect to. When I search using the Android box the networks are shown in Picture 1. J-2.4G is the 2.4GHz radio from my AiMesh system (fiber internet) and J-CABLE is the 2.4GHz radio from a single router connected to my cable internet. These are two independent internet connections. There are no issues with the Android box, only one SID for the 2.4GHz radio for each independent internet connection.

A 2nd version of the Geochron Box uses the Linux OS. When I search for Wifi networks using the Linux box the networks are shown in Picture 2. I get (3) listings for J-2.4G, my AiMesh network and (1) for J-CABLE.

I am working with Geochron to Beta test the new Linux box and could use some help to identify the source of the Linux Geochron showing (3) AiMesh SID's.

I've seen this (3) SID problem happen before when I used WEMO devices with my AiMesh but I moved on from using WEMO's so I never solved the source of this problem.

Thanks.

Jim

Here's a direct URL to the pictures:
http://www.fareinc.com/Geochron-Digital/4-8-19/4-8-19-Android-Wifi-list.jpg
http://www.fareinc.com/Geochron-Digital/4-8-19/Linux-Wifi-networks.JPG

Attachments

• 4-8-19-Android-Wifi-list.jpg
    4-8-19-Android-Wifi-list.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 340
  • Linux-Wifi-networks.JPG
    Linux-Wifi-networks.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 362
The Android box is displaying typical client WiFi connections available... one/same AiMesh SSID and one ISP gateway SSID.

The Linux box is displaying all WLAN SSIDs... three broadcast by your three AiMesh nodes and one broadcast by your ISP gateway.

I don't see a problem. One box chooses to display just the one/same SSID; the other chooses to display each distinct AiMesh SSID which all happen to be named the same.

OE

I don't see a problem. One box chooses to display just the one/same SSID; the other chooses to display each distinct AiMesh SSID which all happen to be named the same.

OE

I was expecting consistency among all clients, i.e. 1 SID showing for an AiMesh system, shouldn't matter what the box OS is.

The multiple AiMesh SID's for the Linux box may or may not result in a connection stability problem for the Linux box because I haven't tried connecting to any of the (3) J-2.4G AiMesh SID's.

Other comments appreciated.

I was expecting consistency among all clients, i.e. 1 SID showing for an AiMesh system, shouldn't matter what the box OS is.

The multiple AiMesh SID's for the Linux box may or may not result in a connection stability problem for the Linux box because I haven't tried connecting to any of the (3) J-2.4G AiMesh SID's.

Other comments appreciated.

Unless you test and confirm one way or another if there is a problem when connecting with the Linux box, I think this is a non-issue?

By default, Linux gives more knobs and dials to tweak and turn, this is just another example of it showing 'more' than it needs to.

Clients do what they want to do. Different clients may do different things. You should not expect consistency across dissimilar clients... especially wireless clients.

If you fire up a WiFi analyzer app, you'll see every WLAN SSID around you displayed, including one for every radio broadcasting from every AiMesh node.

OE

Unless you test and confirm one way or another if there is a problem when connecting with the Linux box, I think this is a non-issue?

I attached to the first AiMesh J-2.4G connection, see Pic 1. The connection was stable for the last 18 hours. I confirmed that the Linux box was connected to my AiMesh node called TV-Room which is physically close to my Geochron Linux box.
.AiMesh--1.jpg

Then I turned off the TV-Room node radios (Wifi button on side of AC5300). The Linux box automatically choose another J-2.4G device but would not automatically connect to it. See Pic 2.
AiMesh--2.jpg

So my conclusion is that the Linux Box will connect to my AiMesh system and will have a stable connection but if the node fails the connection will not be self-healing and will not auto-connect to another node.

Jim

I attached to the first AiMesh J-2.4G connection, see Pic 1. The connection was stable for the last 18 hours. I confirmed that the Linux box was connected to my AiMesh node called TV-Room which is physically close to my Geochron Linux box.
.View attachment 16989

Then I turned off the TV-Room node radios (Wifi button on side of AC5300). The Linux box automatically choose another J-2.4G device but would not automatically connect to it. See Pic 2.
View attachment 16991

So my conclusion is that the Linux Box will connect to my AiMesh system and will have a stable connection but if the node fails the connection will not be self-healing and will not auto-connect to another node.

Jim

Since the Linux box wants to consider same SSID WLANs discretely, did you try connecting to each WLAN first to establish/confirm corresponding discrete connections before testing to see if the client roams among them?

OE

Since the Linux box wants to consider same SSID WLANs discretely, did you try connecting to each WLAN first to establish/confirm corresponding discrete connections before testing to see if the client roams among them?

OE

No.

I'd try it. The Linux box may not be willing to use WLAN1 credentials to connect to WLAN2 even though they use the same credentials.

OE

I'd try it. The Linux box may not be willing to use WLAN1 credentials to connect to WLAN2 even though they use the same credentials.

OE
I’m back to Beta testing the Linux Box Geochron program now and the mesh connection works, albeit with limitations, per my earlier stated conclusions.