What's new

AiMesh: clients keep connecting to the wrong AP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

technet

Occasional Visitor
On a 2 RT-AX88U AiMesh setup, 2.4 Ghz clients are binded to the closest AP and after some time they still connect to the main, distant AP. Network is a Guest Network set to be on all AiMesh Nodes.

At the AiMesh Topology, we see clients with an attention mark reporting "This device is currently bound to RT-AX88U (Living Room). To optimize you connection quality, the system has automatically selected the best route for your device" (which is Office, the distant AP). We don't want it to do that.

How keep clients connecting to the desired, closest AP? We've tried even to block roaming at the "Enable roaming deny list", no success, and to bind clients at the AiMesh

Are there any plans to be able to have more than one Guest Network available on all AiMesh nodes?

We also noticed that the AiMesh node has enabled leds after a reboot, even if they were set as off.

On a 2 RT-AX88U AiMesh setup, 2.4 Ghz clients are binded to the closest AP and after some time they still connect to the main, distant AP. Network is a Guest Network set to be on all AiMesh Nodes.

At the AiMesh Topology, we see clients with an attention mark reporting "This device is currently bound to RT-AX88U (Living Room). To optimize you connection quality, the system has automatically selected the best route for your device" (which is Office, the distant AP). We don't want it to do that.

How keep clients connecting to the desired, closest AP? We've tried even to block roaming at the "Enable roaming deny list", no success, and to bind clients at the AiMesh

Are there any plans to be able to have more than one Guest Network available on all AiMesh nodes?

If it is saying it is bound to Living Room, that's where it is currently connected, the message sounds like an informational one telling you it moved the client from the office to the living room. What makes you think it is connected to the office when it says it is connected to the living room?

Roaming block list just tells the Aimesh system not to try to "move" the client, however the client is still welcome to roam and select what it considers to be the best signal on its own.

If you are seeing clients actually connecting to a more distant AP, there is something wrong with the closer AP, possible radio issue, interference from a nearby device or neighboring networks, bluetooth devices nearby, etc.

Devices loses connection (inacessible) and shows as connected to the router (office) and not the AiMesh node, Living Room, which is expected.

Shouldn't Bind work as expected, avoiding client roaming between nodes?

I have RT-AX86U but the answer is probably valid for you. If you look at the AiMesh tab of the gui and select a node you should see the list of devices bound that node. There is a small icon (a link symbol) which will allow you to permanently bind that device to the AiMesh node.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Devices loses connection (inacessible) and shows as connected to the router (office) and not the AiMesh node, Living Room, which is expected.

Shouldn't Bind work as expected, avoiding client roaming between nodes?

All Aimesh does is kick a client off a node forcing the client to reconnect. The client then chooses which node to reconnect to. If it reconnects to the same node, it gets kicked off again, and can go into a loop of no connectivity. My guess is there is something on the living room node making the client not want to connect to it, but asus keeps kicking it off the office one that it wants to connect to.

These types of Mesh systems are somewhat basic in their implementation. IMO All the MESH marketing schemes have helped contributed to the confusion.
Short version... these mesh systems are not actually all that smart. WiFi Connectivity is still largely determined by the client devices & their drivers.
Have you tried turning down your Tx POWER under Wifi -> Professional?
I rarely see anyone mention this but... the WiFi signal strengths should NOT massively overlap each other. (Minimal Overlap is best)
Meaning... If you have full bars when connected to one AP... there should be (none/nil) or very low signal-strength as seen from the other (Check via your WiFi client devices)
People are usually reluctant to turn down their Tx Power but with MESH systems & (two or more) nodes deployed...
Quieter airwaves is better.
You certainly don't want Mesh node #4 to compete with all THREE of the other nodes.
Anyways it's an easy thing to try.
Good luck.

Last edited:
If it is saying it is bound to Living Room, that's where it is currently connected, the message sounds like an informational one telling you it moved the client from the office to the living room. What makes you think it is connected to the office when it says it is connected to the living room?

Roaming block list just tells the Aimesh system not to try to "move" the client, however the client is still welcome to roam and select what it considers to be the best signal on its own.

If you are seeing clients actually connecting to a more distant AP, there is something wrong with the closer AP, possible radio issue, interference from a nearby device or neighboring networks, bluetooth devices nearby, etc.

Ended up moving the Mesh AP to a better position until a better solution comes (is on its way): an external access point. Yes, there was obstacles between the AP and clients (a led TV, etc.), so connection was being lost, clients moving to the main distant router, etc.

Yes you are right, didn't think of that. I don't use AIMesh. I use a router and separate APs with ethernet backhaul. Works perfectly.

The reason why I don't use AIMesh is that I can't control a number of things.

Without mesh, I can have different bands for APs and router. I can also control the transmit power individually.

I used to have problems with roaming. However, as soon as the output power was reduced on one AP and I replaced one AP with another one that supports 802.11k and v, the roaming issues disappeared.

I reduced the output power on the router to eliminate issues with DFS channels. By reducing the power one step, the router now doesn't switch channels when there is a radar signal from a nearby airport. The reduced power doesn't seem to affect the range much.

It might be a good idea to use a tool such as analiti to verify signal strengths. If you have overlap of signal strengths with levels above -65 or -70 dB, you should reduce the transmit power on the AP or the router. If not, the client may bounce back and forth. With a tool such as this on your phone you can see signal strengths for all equipment around you. You can also filter out equipment based on for example SSIDs and frequences.

Finally, switch off SmartConnect and Roaming Assistant. They only kick the client out and forces the client to re-authorize which often interrupts the connection. I have also, based on experience from other members in this forum, disabled Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!