What's new

Aimesh - Does main router need to be aimesh compatible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kungfuman

New Around Here
My network is currently configured with a N66 router as the main router (with its wifi disabled) and use two other asus routers for wifi, a AC87 and an AC56 which are configured as AP mode and ethernet wired back to the N66.

I am thinking about using Aimesh which I believe can be configured on the two AC routers. I know my N66 is not Aimesh compatible, so my question is, does the main router need to be Aimesh compliant too for this to work or can they configured to work on the two standalone APs, bearing in mind the N66 does not need wifi access at all?

Last edited:
My network is currently configured with a N66 router as the main router (with its wifi disabled) and use two other asus routers for wifi, a AC87 and an AC56 which are configured as AP mode and ethernet wired back to the N66.

I am thinking about using Aimesh which I believe can be configured on the two AC routers. I know my N66 is not Aimesh compatible, so my question is, does the main router need to be Aimesh compliant too for this to work or can they configured to work on the two standalone APs, bearing in mind the N66 does not need wifi access at all?

I believe none of your routers support AiMesh. If it's not in the router webUI, it's not in the router.

ASUS AiMesh = router/AP + nodes = root node + remote nodes
Use the highest spec router as the root node.
A non-AiMesh router is used when the root node is in wired AP Mode.

The RT-AC66U_B1 or RT-AC68U are AiMesh entry level. The RT-AC86U would be next and preferable.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!