What's new

Aimesh Ethernet Backhaul not working through switch?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tokyo_networking

Regular Contributor
When I connect ASUS ZenWifi XT8 (3.0.0.4.388_21099) directly through an ethernet cable to an ASUS RT-AC1900P (3.0.0.4.386_49703) Aimesh node, it shows the RT-AC1900P backhaul is using the ethernet connection. However, when I put a Netgear switch in between, it uses a wireless 5G backhaul.

Why does it not use the ethernet backhaul when putting a switch in between?

Doesn't work with smart switches in default configuration. Works with normal switches. AiMesh uses VLAN for Guest Network. I believe it can be done, but with extra switch configuration. I can test it down the road and share the findings.

Hmmm I have a Netgear ProSafe Plus switch here on my desk, a GS105E. So if I had used it to interconnect my node router to the main, it wouldn't have worked...? Or I guess you're saying instead that it could likely be "made to work" with some added configuration...

This stuff makes my head hurt. :eek:

Or I guess you're saying instead that it could likely be "made to work" with some added configuration...

I have to test it first, but I'm not playing with my production switch. Need to find the hardware and time needed.

Doesn't work with smart switches in default configuration. Works with normal switches. AiMesh uses VLAN for Guest Network. I believe it can be done, but with extra switch configuration. I can test it down the road and share the findings.
Thanks to the hint I did come across these postings

When I connect ASUS ZenWifi XT8 (3.0.0.4.388_21099) directly through an ethernet cable to an ASUS RT-AC1900P (3.0.0.4.386_49703) Aimesh node, it shows the RT-AC1900P backhaul is using the ethernet connection. However, when I put a Netgear switch in between, it uses a wireless 5G backhaul.

Why does it not use the ethernet backhaul when putting a switch in between?

Try adding VLANs 501, 502, and 503 tagged on both ports (the port facing each Asus device). Leave VLAN 1 untagged on those same ports (not sure if VLAN 1 is needed but it won't hurt).

Leave PVID as the default VLAN 1.

Or you can use a "dumb" switch and it should forward the VLAN tags without caring.