What's new

AiMesh LAN speed expectations

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

archiel

Very Senior Member
I have an RT-AX88U as main router and an RT-AX58U as the AiMesh node (connected wirelessly) and would like to know whether my LAN speeds are what I should expect (i was troubleshooting very slow speed on one PC connected via ethernet to the node, it turns out the motherboard is on the way out), which led me to using iPerf3 to check my LAN throughput on other devices to compare speeds

I observed that

1. Data throughput when connected to node seems to about 50% of that on Router
2. Data throughput when connected to node seems to cap out at around 180-200 Mbits/sec
3. Wireless data transfers are about 50% of transmission rate (Rx/Tx)

Connection tests

Phone (AX -80Mhz)
Router Max ~ 450/500Mbits/sec
Node Max ~ 190/200Mbits/sec

Laptop (AC - 80Mhz)
Router Max 180/240 (Wifi Rx/Tx 430/390)

Node Max 90/90 (WiFi)
Max 180/160 (1 Gbe Realtek ethernet connection)

Given the routers and the use of wireless backhaul (running ethernet between them would not be trivial) do these speed look normal or if not, what should I expect and where would I start to troubleshoot? As my ISP is only 80/20 and no short term likelihood of anything better, the LAN speeds are not currently a bottleneck for the internet.

Thanks, Archiel

I have an RT-AX88U as main router and an RT-AX58U as the AiMesh node (connected wirelessly) and would like to know whether my LAN speeds are what I should expect (i was troubleshooting very slow speed on one PC connected via ethernet to the node, it turns out the motherboard is on the way out), which led me to using iPerf3 to check my LAN throughput on other devices to compare speeds

I observed that

1. Data throughput when connected to node seems to about 50% of that on Router
2. Data throughput when connected to node seems to cap out at around 180-200 Mbits/sec
3. Wireless data transfers are about 50% of transmission rate (Rx/Tx)

Connection tests

Phone (AX -80Mhz)
Router Max ~ 450/500Mbits/sec
Node Max ~ 190/200Mbits/sec

Laptop (AC - 80Mhz)
Router Max 180/240 (Wifi Rx/Tx 430/390)

Node Max 90/90 (WiFi)
Max 180/160 (1 Gbe Realtek ethernet connection)

Given the routers and the use of wireless backhaul (running ethernet between them would not be trivial) do these speed look normal or if not, what should I expect and where would I start to troubleshoot? As my ISP is only 80/20 and no short term likelihood of anything better, the LAN speeds are not currently a bottleneck for the internet.

Thanks, Archiel

What are the Tx and Rx link rates logged for your wireless backhauls?

OE

What are the Tx and Rx link rates logged for your wireless backhauls?

OE
Taking the figures from System log\Wireless log - AiMesh shows as using 5.0 as the Backhaul

1632065449018.png

1632148336094.png

1632070980736.png

Last edited:
I am having this same problem! I have an RT-AX88U running merlin 386.5_2, and even just focusing on wired speeds, direct connection to the router is as expected, but adding nodes and connecting through them (wired or wireless) halves the speed and adds 20-30% packet loss, making video calls untenable. I have a ticket open with ASUS but they're going to force me to revert to stock firmware for further help there. For me, nodes are wired, connection to the node also wired.

(should I first add merlin firmware to each future node before making them into nodes? Is that a potential mismatch/problem? They're running stock ASUS

Yes, at least as a test.

As an update, I rebuilt everything from "hard" resets and stock firmware, and still I have this problem - I can literally plug in to a switch that goes to the main router and get full speeds, or to a mesh node plugged into the same switch (and/or directly through the wall jack, just got tired of that in my testing cycles) and get half speed and 20% packet loss -- all wired. Have tried with two different routers set to mesh node with the same result.

Next step at this point is to rebuild one of the nodes as the main router and see if the problem persists.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!