What's new

AIMesh Lan Speed halfed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shadowm

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I've an Aimesh setup:
RT-AX88 as main router
RT-AC86 as node
Desktop Pc with PCE AC-88 wireless
Qnap Nas wired to RT-AX88

I've this problem

When i shutdown AC86 node Lan speed is 100mb, while if i power on Ac86 Lan speed become 50mb.
Internet speed is the same if i turn on or off node.

Where is the problem?

I've both router's firmwares updates...

Can you help me? I don't understand where is the problem...

No one can help me? I try also a Ac88 as primary router and Ac86 as aimesh node but the result is the same...

If I use only Ax88 or Ac86 or Ac88 as primary router without nodes the speed is 100mb. The speed is intended from Nas to pc

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk Pro

So the wireless PC connects through the router to the NAS (which is wired). Is there any chance that the wireless PC is connecting through the mesh node (rather than the router) when you turn the mesh node on?

So the wireless PC connects through the router to the NAS (which is wired). Is there any chance that the wireless PC is connecting through the mesh node (rather than the router) when you turn the mesh node on?
The wireless PC is connected through the mesh node Always because the AC86 (mesh node) is near PC. When the Ac86 was powered off the problem disappear.. But when the node is on and EVERY PC was connected to it the speed reduce to 50-60 percent...

Today i make a proof with my Surface Pro to transfer a video of 1,08gb from Nas to Surface: if the node was on and the Surface is not connected to it the speed is 25-30mb, if i connect to it the speed is 20-25 but if i shutdown node the speed was 65-70mb..

one bug of many, live with it or wait maybe it will be corrected someday or get another router.

Thus when the mesh node is turned off the wireless PC connects to the main router and speeds are then "doubled".

I haven't used aimesh but here's what might be happening behind the scene; the mesh node might be acting as a "repeater". That means your wireless PC connects to the mesh node at 5 GHz and sends something. Then the mesh node "shuts off" because it has to send that something to the router over the same 5 GHz radio thus speeds are "halved". (But some small part of me wants to think that mu-mimo might have handled that?)

If so then @Grisu is probably right, it's something that will probably get fixed someday.

Again, I haven't used aimesh so I don't know anything about its setup but it might be possible to configure around the issue? E.g., hardwire your mesh node to the router? Or set your mesh node to talk to the router @ 2.4 GHz and set the mesh node's 5 GHz radio to talk to clients only? This way the radios won't "shut down". (2.4, however, may become your new "pinch point", you won't get 100 Mbps but you'll get better than 50, maybe around 75 Mbps?)

If you can't do either then maybe turn off aimesh and reconfigure your old mesh node to be an access point?

Last edited:
Configure as access point? What are pro or cons?

Mesh is known for "auto-magic" configuration, self-healing nodes and shines when dealing with router and multiple nodes.

Configuring an access point is usually more manual but you usually have more control over its setup.

An "access point" per se is "wired" but, IMO, you can create a genuine make-believe access point by using one band for back haul to the router and the second band for clients only.

Some mesh systems provide three bands/radios for this purpose; 2.4 and 5 GHz for clients and a third (5 GHz) band dedicated for back haul duty.

Clear as mud?

Today i make a proof with my Surface Pro to transfer a video of 1,08gb from Nas to Surface: if the node was on and the Surface is not connected to it the speed is 25-30mb, if i connect to it the speed is 20-25 but if i shutdown node the speed was 65-70mb
Oops, I didn't read the fine print ... I could well be wrong. How did you ascertain what the Surface was connected to?

Regardless, turning your mesh node into an access point might well be a decent workaround.

Last edited:
Oops, I didn't read the fine print ... I could well be wrong. How did you ascertain what the Surface was connected to?

The surface, as the others pc, are connected via Wifi. Only the NAS was connected to primary router via ethernet

And what can I do? Seems it happen only with my Nas...
That seems like new news to me. What speed Internet are you signed up for? Do you achieve those speeds (Internet speed test)? Are Internet speeds not effected in similar manner, i.e., like your degradated NAS speeds?

That seems like new news to me. What speed Internet are you signed up for? Do you achieve those speeds (Internet speed test)? Are Internet speeds not effected in similar manner, i.e., like your degradated NAS speeds?

I have 100mb. I reach this speed in all this case, with or without node. Internet’s doesn’t seems affect from this problem

I have 100mb. I reach this speed in all this case, with or without node. Internet’s doesn’t seems affect from this problem
Now that is most intriguing and ... it renders my hypothesis, well, silly.

So now we're back to:
one bug of many, live with it or wait maybe it will be corrected someday or get another router.
So do try turning the aimesh system into a simple router with an access point. If the problem goes away we've all learned something.

tomorrow i try to setup the node in ap. An info. I must set 2.4ghz or 5ghz for access point? If i use access point, the roaming isn't so easy as aimesh.. I open ticket with asus for this problem… It's very strange.. i don't understand why speed is reduced if i use the node..

tomorrow i try to setup the node in ap. An info. I must set 2.4ghz or 5ghz for access point? If i use access point, the roaming isn't so easy as aimesh.. I open ticket with asus for this problem… It's very strange.. i don't understand why speed is reduced if i use the node..
I've done this with other products to Asus router, I've never done it Asus to Asus so I can only speak to the theory.

"Roaming" should/could be as good as with AImesh, setup might be more challenging.

IF you can run a wire between your two Asus products that would be the best way to do an Access Point!

Just to throw some numbers around; "good" wireless performance over 2.4 GHz should be around 75 Mbps and "good" performance over 5 GHz should be around 150 to 200 Mbps. If you ran a wire between both Asus boxes this would be close to the speeds you would see, uh, well, capped off at your current 100 Mbps limits.

IF you set it up in simple/stupid repeater mode (where client connects to the same radio that the router uses those speeds would be about "half" (about 37 and 85-ish Mbps respectively).

IF you can use one radio for the back haul to the router and the other radio for clients only then the 2.4 GHz radio will probably limit you to about 75 Mbps.

If NAS is important to you then you should enjoy an increase in performance.

If Internet speeds are more important to you then you might want to pass as you might see some decrease in performance.

Have Fun!

NAS for me is not important. With Node I reach 60mb instead of 100. But I don’t understand why.. Fir me the setup can remain as is, but if the trasfer speed increase.. i’ m happy!!!! ;)

NAS for me is not important
Then, outside of curiosity, I guess the best next step is to just leave it alone ... as long as you're getting full (100 Mbps) Internet speeds : -(

The problem isn’t internet speed. Is lan speed. I have all wireless or wired card that are almost 2900 Mbps.. if they are connected through gigabit Ethernet I have a bottleneck in it and the lan speed must be about 100mb. No? Now I make another proof. I connect router and node with Ethernet cable and then I try to transfer a file from Nas to Pc wireless and then, I connect also pc wireless to node with Ethernet and make proof...

I hope that if I connect all with Ethernet cable the speed should be maximum, no?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!