What's new

AIMesh Lan Speed halfed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hmmm ... I do admire your tenacity (I would have given up : -)

What negotiated speed do you see for the NAS to Router connection (via Ethernet)? You can check from the NAS or from the router, e.g., http://demoui.asus.com/index.asp (look to upper right, click on "status" then look to lower right of display).

Sometimes Ethernet to Ethernet connections will negotiate the wrong speed, e.g., 100 Mbps instead of 1 Gbps. Sometimes it's a bad cable. Sometimes a bad rj45 port (try a different LAN port). And, rare, just an incompatibility between devices (I once had to override a PC's auto negotiate and lock it at 1 Gbps.)

Last edited:
Today i make a proof with my Surface Pro to transfer a video of 1.08gb from Nas to Surface: if the node was on and the Surface is not connected to it the speed is 25-30mb, if i connect to it the speed is 20-25 but if i shutdown node the speed was 65-70mb.
Just to make sure we're comparing apples to apples;
  • Video of "1.08gb" = Giga-bits or Giga-Bytes?
  • Speed of "70mb" = Mega-bits or Mega-Bytes?
I ask because I rarely see anyone refer to file size in bits, they almost always refer to size in Bytes. Thus, often, resultant transfer speeds are also measured in Bytes per second. IF that is the case then your NAS is delivering about 700 Mbps (70 times 10, well, technically times 8 [8 bits to a Byte] but I like easy math : -) ... bits is lower case "b" and Bytes are uppercase "B".

Last edited:
Just to make sure we're comparing apples to apples;
  • Video of "1.08gb" = Giga-bits or Giga-Bytes?
  • Speed of "70mb" = Mega-bits or Mega-Bytes?
I ask because I rarely see anyone refer to file size in bits, they almost always refer to size in Bytes. Thus, often, resultant transfer speeds are also measured in Bytes per second. IF that is the case then your NAS is delivering about 700 Mbps (70 times 10, well, technically times 8 [8 bits to a Byte] but I like easy math : -) ... bits is lower case "b" and Bytes are uppercase "B".

Sorry

1.08 Gigabytes
Speeds in megabytes

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk Pro

Sorry
1.08 Gigabytes
Speeds in megabytes​
Then we are OK?
  • Most Internet speed tests measure in Mega-bits. You are paying for 100 Mbps and getting 100 Mbps.
  • NASes typically transfer between 50 and 100 Mega-Bytes per second. You are getting 70 MBS which translates to roughly 700 Mbps.
I'm thinking all is well?

Then we are OK?
  • Most Internet speed tests measure in Mega-bits. You are paying for 100 Mbps and getting 100 Mbps.
  • NASes typically transfer between 50 and 100 Mega-Bytes per second. You are getting 70 MBS which translates to roughly 700 Mbps.
I'm thinking all is well?

No... because if I shutdown the node the transfer speed from Nas is 100-110 megabytes..

Seems that the aimesh behaviour is similar to WiFi repeater...

No... because if I shutdown the node the transfer speed from Nas is 100-110 megabytes..

Seems that the aimesh behaviour is similar to WiFi repeater...

AiMesh would be banned from my network with that kind of result to the NAS throughput. :)

Have you tested to see if simply turning the node on gives the same results? Without any client connected?

With the node on and client connected to router the speed is 80-85 and it’s discontinuous... but don’t reach 100-105 megabytes. I reach this speed only if I shutdown node.

With the node on and client connected to router the speed is 80-85 and it’s discontinuous... but don’t reach 100-105 megabytes. I reach this speed only if I shutdown node.

I would be looking at converting this to an AP and see if it is affecting your wired connections still. If it is, we can keep troubleshooting. If it doesn't, then AiMesh is just amess...

I would be looking at converting this to an AP and see if it is affecting your wired connections still. If it is, we can keep troubleshooting. If it doesn't, then AiMesh is just amess...

I need a 15mt Ethernet cable.. tomorrow I try

I used wired backhaul but now the desktop pc doesn’t recognise the Nas. The pc desktop is always wireless... I don’t understand

I used wired backhaul but now the desktop pc doesn’t recognise the Nas. The pc desktop is always wireless... I don’t understand

If you're still having trouble;

Try shutting down your whole network. Physically pull the power and network LAN cables from each device. Leave them off for ideally an hour, sometimes 10 minutes is enough.

Power on the modem and wait for 5 to 10 minutes before plugging in the power again.

Connect all the LAN cables and then power on your router. Wait for 5 to 10 minutes.

Power on your AP(s) and wait for 5 minutes.

Turn on your devices. Let the system settle (about 15 minutes or so).

This should get you to a good/stable state.

Ok now I try... I think that aimesh isn’t a great idea.. but I can’t use ap because I can’t setup an Ethernet system in my house...

ASUS write to me that is normal that the transfer speed is reduced... The aimesh system can’t reach one router performances... anyone has the same problem? I don’t think that is true... I lost 40-50 percent of speed transfer as an repeater and ASUS write me this... I have no words...

Now i'm thinking to chage Aimesh system with Netgear Orbi… What do you think? Asus assistance is a nightmare...

What brand?

dont want to advertise here, look for AVM 7590 dsl modem-router, have 3 in mesh now without any probs since 2 weeks.
One used as modem others in mesh connected to their seperate WAN-ethernet ports.
Cant say if they will meet your different requirements too like for me as they are thought for EU!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!