What's new

[AIMESH] mixed Asus-wrt and Asus-merlin. Will it work?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Keiraija

New Around Here
I have Asus RT-AX86U running Asus-merlin 386.4 as main router
I want to buy Asus RT-AX55 and make it a wired AIMESH node but it doesnt have Asus-merlin firmware.
Will AIMESH still function as expected mixing merlin and non-merlin firmware?
Thanks!

Firmwares can be mixed.

As long as the two routers are using AiMesh v2.0 (and assuming they both have the latest firmware available, they should), then it should work.

If you have any specific problems, you can ask for help here on the forums.

Given the above, I would not recommend that model you're considering (although it may be sufficient for use as a mere wired AiMesh node). The RT-AX68U is highly preferred to use with your RT-AX86U main router (and they will use the same firmware level too).

As long as the two routers are using AiMesh v2.0 (and assuming they both have the latest firmware available, they should), then it should work.

If you have any specific problems, you can ask for help here on the forums.

Given the above, I would not recommend that model you're considering (although it may be sufficient for use as a mere wired AiMesh node). The RT-AX68U is highly preferred to use with your RT-AX86U main router (and they will use the same firmware level too).
wanted to but I need (have) to wall-mount it so AX55 or AX58U is the only 2 options. But AX58U is twice the price of AX55 here and seems to only offer supported-merlin-firmware but nothing else :| so maybe I'll just pick the AX55 and be done with it.

A $5 shelf makes everything 'wall mountable'. I can appreciate the budget concerns, of course, but sometimes doing something 'right' at a later point in time is better than simply doing something, now.