What's new

AiMesh network crashing/dropout

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

felix0315

New Around Here
I was looking to see if anyone else has figured out a way to resolve the aimesh node dropout issue.
I came across a reddit post with the exact same title. The post suggested adding nodes to the roaming block list.

Does this make sense to those familiar with the backend workings of AiMesh?
I've implemented the suggested fix, and will report back after a few days' test.

I was looking to see if anyone else has figured out a way to resolve the aimesh node dropout issue.
I came across a reddit post with the exact same title. The post suggested adding nodes to the roaming block list.

Does this make sense to those familiar with the backend workings of AiMesh?
I've implemented the suggested fix, and will report back after a few days' test.

I suspect optimum node placement matters and could help.

Setting fixed, least congested, non-DFS channels would prevent channel changes/disruption that may be a factor.

AiMesh 2.0 in beta permits setting a remote node's preferred uplink node. I have not used it.

Using the roaming block list doesn't feel right since roaming should happen for good cause, but who knows.

OE

Interesting idea to use the roaming block list, but not sure it would help in my case, one AiMesh2 router (RT-AC86U) with one AiMesh2 node (RT-AC68P). Regardless, I have found AiMesh2 a huge disappointment, as is seems no more stable than AiMesh1 in my environment: wireless link between routers, "Great" connection strength (about 50-52 RSSI), all seems well for a day or two, then I start noticing the sometimes brief, sometimes long (1-2 minutes), dropouts on devices that are wired or wirelessly connected to the node, up to several times a day. Basically, the same performance problems that existed in the original AiMesh1 carried over to the new, "improved" version.
FYI, I get a perfectly stable connections on the wired devices connected to the remote "node" when it runs in Media Bridge mode (either FreshTomato firware or when running the current Asus 386 series RC2-9 Beta firmware).
Obviously, I have tried many combinations of wireless settings, but I always use fixed channels, Universal beamforming off, etc.... all the usual fixes have been applied.
Basically, AiMesh2 doesn't help me, as the connections are too flakey to put up with in the current WFH environment.

Interesting idea to use the roaming block list, but not sure it would help in my case, one AiMesh2 router (RT-AC86U) with one AiMesh2 node (RT-AC68P). Regardless, I have found AiMesh2 a huge disappointment, as is seems no more stable than AiMesh1 in my environment: wireless link between routers, "Great" connection strength (about 50-52 RSSI), all seems well for a day or two, then I start noticing the sometimes brief, sometimes long (1-2 minutes), dropouts on devices that are wired or wirelessly connected to the node, up to several times a day. Basically, the same performance problems that existed in the original AiMesh1 carried over to the new, "improved" version.
FYI, I get a perfectly stable connections on the wired devices connected to the remote "node" when it runs in Media Bridge mode (either FreshTomato firware or when running the current Asus 386 series RC2-9 Beta firmware).
Obviously, I have tried many combinations of wireless settings, but I always use fixed channels, Universal beamforming off, etc.... all the usual fixes have been applied.
Basically, AiMesh2 doesn't help me, as the connections are too flakey to put up with in the current WFH environment.

Are you also running everything listed in your signature?

OE

Are you also running everything listed in your signature?

OE
Yes, currently my signature is accurate. Do you really question if that is the source of the problem? Full factory resets have been done quite recently, and I still couldn't get true multi-day stability out of the AiMesh2 node (dropouts that just don't happen at all when running as a Media Bridge).

Yes, currently my signature is accurate. Do you really question if that is the source of the problem? Full factory resets have been done quite recently, and I still couldn't get true multi-day stability out of the AiMesh2 node (dropouts that just don't happen at all when running as a Media Bridge).

No, I'm not suggesting the source of the issue. I only want to better know the context of the issue as this relates to your installation. I don't have your issue on my 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh 1.0 or 2.0 so I'm trying to know what's different... your AC68P, Asuswrt Merlin, and add-ons.

OE

Ok, I understand. It seems from a few users experiences that they have more trouble getting an RT-AC68P to act reliably as an AiMesh node, so I am not alone. See here for example: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/aimesh-node-dropping.63141/post-638009

It seem to me to be overkill to go out and buy a newer router (RT-AC86U or RT-AX86U) just to experiment with in order to achieve a stable AiMesh environment, especially when I consider that I could also just bite the (performance) bullet and also try Repeater Mode on my RT-AC68P as an alternative.

Ok, I understand. It seems from a few users experiences that they have more trouble getting an RT-AC68P to act reliably as an AiMesh node, so I am not alone. See here for example: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/aimesh-node-dropping.63141/post-638009

It seem to me to be overkill to go out and buy a newer router (RT-AC86U or RT-AX86U) just to experiment with in order to achieve a stable AiMesh environment, especially when I consider that I could also just bite the (performance) bullet and also try Repeater Mode on my RT-AC68P as an alternative.

I'm similarly and typically cautious toward more spending, and would not recommend it unless you know it will advance the situation, but I find that it is sometimes necessary to spend more to move beyond a problem to get to where you want/need to go.

For example, my wireless 2xRT-AC68U AiMesh 1.0 would not reliably reach my detached garage/shop. I passed them on and installed a 2xRT-AC86U AiMesh. I was convinced it had to be done and did it and it has worked well. When they both died, Asus replaced one and I replaced the other. I wanted to maintain what I had and continue with AiMesh. So, I had to spend some to get to where I wanted to go.

But not at first... I dragged my old routers out and played around with Media Bridge and Repeater modes long enough to realize nothing worked as well as AiMesh. So after a brief reluctance to spend more, I ordered a replacement AC86U.

Admittedly in my case, waiting for a firmware fix for my dead 86U was not an option.

OE

well, it didnt take very long but I've just had a progressive network crash that ended up totally unusable and I couldn't get into the UI either. It seemed as if the network was relatively stable for the first 6 to 12 hours and then just nosedives. I now too, wonder if the RT-AC68U hardware is just not good enough for AiMesh..which is the disappointing thing for me because that's the whole reason i got the setup.
The system is now working again after power cycling all three devices.

Attachments

• 1607756025807.png
    1607756025807.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 227
Did I read correctly here on the forums that the RT-AC68U 386.xx firmware has gone final? Did you give that a try?

After flashing it, resetting all routers to factory defaults, reformatting the JFFS partitions, and then rebooting at least twice (I would reboot 3 times in 10 to 15 minutes), then, doing a minimal and manual configuration of the main router and adding the AiMesh nodes directly from its GUI?

I just got a RT-AX86U and set it up as the main router with an AC68U node with WIRED back-haul and it was working great for the most part (besides issues with 2.4g only I.O.T. devices not connecting). Less then 24 hours later my AC68U node was gone and is now showing as a device on my device list but I don't have any node showing.

The AX86 is brand new it was all fresh settings with stock Asus firmware (since Merlin's is in Beta for the AX86). My AC68 is old and I was running Merlin Firmware on it, but I did the reset by pressing the button before making it a node in the Aimesh. Firmware on both were most recent not beta. Did I screw something up or is this a known issue? It seems like lots of people have posted about nodes disappearing, but most of them I have seen are using wireless back haul.

I'm giving it another go. I've loaded Merlin 386.1 Beta 2 to all three devices.
Button NVRAM reset, load firmware, reformat JFFS, and restore to factory (w/ initialize & clear) through GUI.
Then the main was set up, followed by the nodes which were manually put into aimesh node mode and then added to main aimesh. System reboot after everything was done.
Lets see how this performs over the next little while.

The final trick for stability in my long distance (150’ building to building) mesh was disabling roaming assistant. It almost seems like the roaming assistant was applying to the mesh node and if the connection hiccuped the node was disconnected.

I'm giving it another go. I've loaded Merlin 386.1 Beta 2 to all three devices.
Button NVRAM reset, load firmware, reformat JFFS, and restore to factory (w/ initialize & clear) through GUI.
Then the main was set up, followed by the nodes which were manually put into aimesh node mode and then added to main aimesh. System reboot after everything was done.
Lets see how this performs over the next little while.

You don't manually configure/touch the remote nodes... just reset them and add them to the AiMesh.

OE

You don't manually configure/touch the remote nodes... just reset them and add them to the AiMesh.

OE
While I fully agree, and have always done it this way (factory reset and add to AiMesh immediately from the "master" AiMesh router with no configuration needed on the node), I have to admit it is odd that Asus does include a setting on the Administration>Operation Mode tab for putting a router into "AiMesh Node" mode. Unnecessarily, clearly, but it is there.

While I fully agree, and have always done it this way (factory reset and add to AiMesh immediately from the "master" AiMesh router with no configuration needed on the node), I have to admit it is odd that Asus does include a setting on the Administration>Operation Mode tab for putting a router into "AiMesh Node" mode. Unnecessarily, clearly, but it is there.

Yes, it is there... it is informational. If you read it, it tells you what to do:
Screenshot 2020-12-15 221839.JPEG

Knowing that you do not have to configure the node will save you from doing so.

OE

Oops, my mistake then, and nevermind....I had not clicked on it to expand the options (or see the additional info shown below when that option is clicked), as I knew it wasn't really needed.

Head hung low in shame...

@jsbeddow, hold your head high! I learned something new too. :)

OE

Yeah I probably didn't need to do that..looks like a redundant thing that I did.
OE, in your aimesh install notes, you set the 2.4RA to -55 but left the 5.0RA to -70. Why is that?
Is it to prevent 5.0RA from dropping nodes?

Yeah I probably didn't need to do that..looks like a redundant thing that I did.
OE, in your aimesh install notes, you set the 2.4RA to -55 but left the 5.0RA to -70. Why is that?
Is it to prevent 5.0RA from dropping nodes?

No. The 2.4/5.0 wireless backhauls for my one node have always been stable. I don't think RA would simply boot a backhaul connection... AiMesh backhaul connections are likely handled with non-RA logic, imo... nodes don't roam.

I changed the 2.4 RA RSSI threshold to -55 to fix my 2.4 mobile connection when roaming the property.

I have not tweaked the 5.0 RA RSSI threshold because I seldom roam beyond the house node with a 5.0 mobile, and when I do coming and going through the garage, they behave. Since 5.0 travels less far, it is less likely I would have the same 2.4 roaming issue with a 5.0 mobile. I believe that issue is that my 2.4 signals are similarly strong and attractive to my client when not far beyond a node. This problem seemed to present after the introduction of a new OEM WiFI SDK in 386 firmware. Footnote: Back in 2018, the 2.4 RA RSSI default threshold was -55.

OE