What's new

AiMesh Newbe Curiosity Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Figaro

Occasional Visitor
Per RT-AC86U router with RT-AC68P node.

1. Are changes to the router automatically applied to the node? Things like "Wireless Mode" or "Channel bandwidth", Etc?
2. If I reboot the router or schedule a reboot every Sunday AM, will the node reboot also?
3. Any words of wisdom regarding configuring the router?

Thanks

Last edited:
Per RT-AC86U router with RT-AC68P node.

1. Are changes to the router automatically applies to the node? Things like "Wireless Mode" or "Channel bandwidth", Etc?
2. If I reboot the router or schedule a reboot every Sunday AM, will the node reboot also?
3. Any words of wisdom regarding configuring the router?

Thanks

1. Generally speaking, when applicable, yes.

2. I don't know... and you'd have to try it.

3. Yes, see my install notes. Given your 68U remote node, disable Smart Connect and use different SSIDs and fixed channels.

OE

1. Generally speaking, when applicable, yes.

2. I don't know... and you'd have to try it.

3. Yes, see my install notes. Given your 68U remote node, disable Smart Connect and use different SSIDs and fixed channels.

OE
Thanks for you response!
Not an issue but is there a way to know that a node has rebooted?

Thanks for you response!
Not an issue but is there a way to know that a node has rebooted?

I would just watch its LEDs when it is suppose to reboot... then you'll know if it reboots on a schedule.

I don't reboot mine.

OE

Nodes don’t reboot but they do restart their wireless service when the main router comes back.
You can command a reboot of a node via SSH (SSH is enabled and keys pushed from the router to the nodes).
For a while in the early days of AiMesh I had a cru (Asuswrt version of cron) that rebooted all my nodes every 4am. I disabled it about 4 months ago as it’s stable now for months at a time.

As of the latest firmware you can enable Smart Connect and still choose fixed channels which is nice.
I did run a AC68U as a node for a while with Smart Connect enabled (but obviously not functional on that 1 node). I saw no detriment effects, but I have such strong 5Ghz everywhere the only time a device is steered to 2.4Ghz is if I stand at the end of my drive.
Comes down to personal choice on if you want to have manual control over band steering or not really, even without Smart Connect on the router, same SSID across both bands allows devices to in most cases seamlessly roam between the bands. Using different SSIDs it will never be seamless.
Up until yesterday when I installed the latest Merlin F/W I would have agreed with OE, but now you can select your preferred channel WITH Smart Connect enabled I don’t see any advantage of not using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nodes do reboot as part of a scheduled reboot.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Nodes do reboot as part of a scheduled reboot.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

That’s interesting. The certainly don’t if you just hit reboot in the Web UI or issue “reboot” via SSH. The reboot scheduler must do something extra. Based on user reboots not rebooting nodes I assumed scheduled reboots would not either hence my described cru solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!