What's new

AIMesh node dropping.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

evrycard

Occasional Visitor
Two Asus RT-AC68U in AIMesh mode.
I have experienced so many drops from the node router.
I have tried to install fresh Merlin firmwares (384.15) for both and it is still dropping.
The node drops once every say hour or so for like 30 sec then reconnects back.
Is there any fix for this?
Thx

How is the AiMesh node connected? Wired or wirelessly?

Are you using Auto Control Channels on both bands?

What is your home construction like? Plaster/lath, drywall, or concrete? Metal studs? Wooden 2x4's?

How big is your home and how far apart are the routers?

When was the last time you did a full reset to factory defaults on both of them?

I suggest flashing both to 384.16_0 release final for the best experience today, along with a full reset. Please see the link in my signature below for further details on getting your routers stable and back to a good/known state.

Two Asus RT-AC68U in AIMesh mode.
I have experienced so many drops from the node router.
I have tried to install fresh Merlin firmwares (384.15) for both and it is still dropping.
The node drops once every say hour or so for like 30 sec then reconnects back.
Is there any fix for this?
Thx

The node should not drop. If it is dropping, then something is failing or interfering with a wireless backhaul.

Have you reset the firmware you are using and configured from scratch?

Do you use the USB 3.0 port in 3.0 Mode?

What are the RSSI values for the 2.4 and 5.0 wireless backhauls in the Wireless Log?

OE

The node should not drop. If it is dropping, then something is failing or interfering with a wireless backhaul.

Have you reset the firmware you are using and configured from scratch?

Do you use the USB 3.0 port in 3.0 Mode?

What are the RSSI values for the 2.4 and 5.0 wireless backhauls in the Wireless Log?

OE
After a fresh installation of the latest firmware (384.16). Everything seems to be fine now. Very strange!

By a fresh installation, do you mean you flashed 384.16_0 and then did a full reset to factory defaults?

Anyone else seeing AiMesh nodes briefly drop off and restart their wireless connection in sync with the DHCP renewal time from the master AiMesh router. Really annoying, as this is how my Roku is connected, as a wired connection from this (wirelessly linked) AiMesh node, and this wireless restart drops the connection for about 20-30 seconds every time this happens (usually only once every 24 hours), but occasionally at other times randomly.

After a fresh installation of the latest firmware (384.16). Everything seems to be fine now. Very strange!

Did you factory reset all routers beforehand or did you just upgrade firmware?

I have a AX89X and a AC88U in Aimesh mode and the node drops out every 2 days. The AX89X replaced a Nighthawk X10 and the AC88U was connected to that in wireless bridge mode. Never had an issue with drops. Thinking about just dumping the second Asus router and just using a different brand Wi-Fi extender.

It just happened again. As I was using it the Aimesh node dropped off the network and I lost connection.
I can't believe this. When I had 2 AC88Us back in 2017 I had this same issue when one would be connected to the other in wireless bridge mode the bridged router would randomly drop connection and would need to be powercycled to reconnect. The main router would never lose connection to the internet however. It's 2020 and they basically still have that same issue. Not even sure why I came back to Asus.

It just happened again. As I was using it the Aimesh node dropped off the network and I lost connection.
I can't believe this. When I had 2 AC88Us back in 2017 I had this same issue when one would be connected to the other in wireless bridge mode the bridged router would randomly drop connection and would need to be powercycled to reconnect. The main router would never lose connection to the internet however. It's 2020 and they basically still have that same issue. Not even sure why I came back to Asus.

Do you know if the 88U you kept is the one that use to drop in bridge mode? Maybe you kept the defective one.

OE

Do you know if the 88U you kept is the one that use to drop in bridge mode? Maybe you kept the defective one.

OE
I would agree with this except the one I kept was my original router and never had an issue until it became an ASUS bridge to another ASUS router then it also preformed flawlessly as a bridge to a Netgear router for years. I'm just gonna dump it and go down to the single router. I have a cheap WiFi extender with a switch my Tivo Mini and Stream can use so they can plug into the Ethernet port.

I was having same problem as you with ac88u I have 2 ac86u as satellites and they worked fine ended up getting another ac86u everything works great now using ax88u as the base router

I was having consistent drop-out issues with my home AiMesh network and eventually changed the client nodes to Media Bridge mode. Much more consistent connection these days with less drop-outs. Of course, the downside is that the nodes no longer act as WiFi repeaters, but if you are using your nodes for hardwired devices, it could be an option to consider.

I'm using AX88U as main and AC86U as node in my mesh setup. Started to notice that AC86U picks up only one frequency but not both. Node connected to the main via cable. Could it be some settings related issue? (previously when it was connected wirelessly I recall it had clients on both frequencies)

1606934857301.png

I'm using AX88U as main and AC86U as node in my mesh setup. Started to notice that AC86U picks up only one frequency but not both. Node connected to the main via cable. Could it be some settings related issue? (previously when it was connected wirelessly I recall it had clients on both frequencies)

View attachment 28141

Are you saying you have 2.4 wireless clients that do not connect to the 2.4 band on your AC86U?

Is the AC86U 2.4 band broadcasting a signal, or did it die?

OE

Are you saying you have 2.4 wireless clients that do not connect to the 2.4 band on your AC86U?

Is the AC86U 2.4 band broadcasting a signal, or did it die?

OE
I think previously I saw only 2.4 clients connected. Not sure thought how do I check if both are available.