What's new

AiMesh Node going OFFLINE after a few weeks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Are you guys seriously telling me that you’ve never had a node not show up in the main node interface?

Nope, never. My remote node is always up and working. But I probably have a different network from yours.

OE

And that option would be kind of useless, no? If the node is locked up, how could you access its GUI to reset it anyway? :)

Because if it isn’t locked up, and just missing from the main nodes web interface, this option would allow us to reset the node remotely with out having to press the button at the back, these AiMesh devices are meant to be placed all over the place. inaccessible places and accessible ones, in the inaccessible places this option would make a lot of sense.

An option like this would mean I wouldn’t need to get a loft ladder down from the attic and go up there just to press a button!

at the moment these AiMesh nodes aren’t easier than access points, they are more likely to have problems in AiMesh mode and hence more of a reason to have a dedicated reset to defaults Area with in the device its self. Don’t tell me it would be hard to add this option as you’ve already got the options in AiMesh 2.0 to add usbs to nodes and upload firmware to there IP addresses, this would take up hardly any development time and save my legs, maybe even my life if I have a nasty fall one day going up to the attic...

And that option would be kind of useless, no? If the node is locked up, how could you access its GUI to reset it anyway? :)
Even on wireless they mess up after awhile it isn’t

And he implied that it works wireless without the powerline link.

OE

I’m glad to hear some of you @OzarkEdge @L&LD aren’t having issues, however for the people who are this kind of option would save us time and at least make the system useable after it does go down.

It’s not about the cause but more about the options,

It's not that we don't have issues. It's about sensible options.

I don't follow the logic in what you're asking for.

If a node drops from the main router, it (the entire network) has been configured incorrectly.

Having the ability to reset it doesn't fix the underlying issue (for me).

What may seem like a waste of time to you might be a god sent to someone else!
If you don’t understand what I’m talking about it’s probably because you haven’t experienced it yet! Lucky you!

If the node drops off the main nodes web interface (shows as offline) and sits on the network with an accessible IP address (which happens) then this option would allow me to go to the accessible ip address and reset the thing with out me having to physically go to the device

I’ve had this scenario happen 15 odd times in the 2 years odd I’ve been running the equipment in AiMesh mode
when it happens it’s a pain to correct and drives me crackers, I seriously feel like a parrot repeating a task over and over again.

you would think as soon as the node has no communication from the main nodes web interface it would reset its self. but no it just sits on the network, I have no way to reset the node when this happens, other than holding a recessed button in the dark, on top of my house ceilings,

Don’t tell me these things aren’t meant for the attic because that’s one of the AiMesh labels attic. If you seriously want people to put these up in the attic then they need another way to reset them when the main node fails to display them, (fails to display a node and all its options) even if I remove the offline node, it still remains connected to the network! it’s like a zombie

It's not that we don't have issues. It's about sensible options.

I don't follow the logic in what you're asking for.

If a node drops from the main router, it (the entire network) has been configured incorrectly.

Last edited:
Even if I unplug the node plug it back in it still just sits on the network! I’ve tested the Communication in between the node and the main node everything is good with my back hall! maybe the power lines drop in a particular way that messes up the link! I don’t know, all I know is the problem exists it isn’t just me and it needs an option adding

Last edited:
I didn't say it's a waste of time.

I feel your pain, but don't share your logic. :)

We both agree that having to do something over a dozen times (even over two years) is not 'fun'.

But the fact that you're already hinting at the potential problems (i.e. probable PLA issues) and don't fix them is telling.

I would feel safe to say you're the only one that keeps persisting in something that isn't working. Most people either find solutions with their current equipment or move to ones that work.

For myself, AiMesh was 'AiMess' for the longest time and I couldn't recommend it. v2.0 has fixed many of those issues for me and my customers. But for most (99.0%), wired AiMesh only.

Does rebooting the main router fix anything when the nodes are in limbo? What have you tried to eliminate the possible cause being the PLA's? After a dozen times going into the attic, I would have just run wires by now.

A network should be stable. Having a better way to reboot it because it regularly fails is not a solution. If my node was dropping off, I'd change the network to eliminate this issue. My users (me!) deserve no less.

If you want to reboot the node in the attic, go to the power panel and toggle the circuit breaker. If that affects too many loads, rewire the house... where will it end.

OE

I tried rebooting the main node when the node gos in to limbo, I tried rebooting the node by power cycling it, I’ve tried removing it from the main node (when it’s in offline state) does nothing

all I know is I can get to it’s IP address which directs me back to the main node, if going to that IP address gave me a reset option it wouldn’t be so much trouble.

my power lines are fine, (TL-PA9020P KIT) when the offending node gos Rogue I checked the power line, it had internet and no issues connecting to the router.

we do get power cuts here? maybe a power cut causes this behaviour?

I didn't say it's a waste of time.

I feel your pain, but don't share your logic. :)

We both agree that having to do something over a dozen times (even over two years) is not 'fun'.

But the fact that you're already hinting at the potential problems (i.e. probable PLA issues) and don't fix them is telling.

I would feel safe to say you're the only one that keeps persisting in something that isn't working. Most people either find solutions with their current equipment or move to ones that work.

For myself, AiMesh was 'AiMess' for the longest time and I couldn't recommend it. v2.0 has fixed many of those issues for me and my customers. But for most (99.0%), wired AiMesh only.

Does rebooting the main router fix anything when the nodes are in limbo? What have you tried to eliminate the possible cause being the PLA's? After a dozen times going into the attic, I would have just run wires by now.

again I understand yours work fine, you can’t blame all the other equipment I’m using. the node should always display its self in the main node the fact it isn’t makes it highly likely a firmware bug that hasn’t been smashed yet

A network should be stable. Having a better way to reboot it because it regularly fails is not a solution. If my node was dropping off, I'd change the network to eliminate this issue. My users (me!) deserve no less.

If you want to reboot the node in the attic, go to the power panel and toggle the circuit breaker. If that affects too many loads, rewire the house... where will it end.

OE

again I understand yours work fine, you can’t blame all the other equipment I’m using. the node should always display its self in the main node the fact it isn’t makes it highly likely a firmware bug that hasn’t been smashed yet

You ask if my node goes offline. I answered, but not to dismiss your issue. Nobody is blaming your equipment. If you don't want this community to help work the problem, that's fine.

I thought the circuit breaker idea was a good one! :)

OE

Ha ha! of cause I want help and of cause I want to give feedback otherwise I wouldn’t be here

You ask if my node goes offline. I answered, but not to dismiss your issue. Nobody is blaming your equipment. If you don't want this community to help work the problem, that's fine.

I thought the circuit breaker idea was a good one! :)

OE

How controlled are the temperature and the humidity levels in the attic?

How are you so sure the PLAs are trouble-free? It's not the hardware that is the issue, it is the highly variable environment in which they work, that is.

Maybe, if power fluctuations are an issue, a UPS is required for the node in the attic?

Things don’t get wet if that’s what your asking, no condensation?

If it was the power lines, I would of seen no connection when hooking in to the one the node uses

also as mentioned before, by the node showing offline on the main node and never coming back online, despite me power cycling it, im positively sure it’s a firmware issue

It thankfully only happens after months of use, hopefully with AiMesh 2.0 it’s been sorted out. I’ll keep this thread updated

How controlled are the temperature and the humidity levels in the attic?

How are you so sure the PLAs are trouble-free? It's not the hardware that is the issue, it is the highly variable environment in which they work, that is.

Maybe, if power fluctuations are an issue, a UPS is required for the node in the attic?

Last edited:
I have a theory here -- I don't think it will actually *help* anyone but it may give some context.

I have a mesh of 3x RT-AX92U. One of these nodes was, until recently, hooked up via wired backhaul, but it used a wire run that was installed by a particularly forward-thinking homeowner in the late 90s when the place was renovated. That connection has always seemed a bit flaky -- it's supposed to be CAT5e but can't establish a link speed faster than 100Mbps and I've logged it dropping packets sometimes.

Before I had the mesh rig, I used a powerline pair to provide access to a different part of the house. This had similar flakiness -- inconsistent speeds, dropped packets. This "rough" network had a particularly negative effect on realtime streaming (Steam In-Home / PS Remote Play). A lot of other powerline users have documented similar issues on various forums for those streaming protocols.

Once I upgraded to mesh, I saw similar behavior to the OP over the dodgy wire run -- the node would still be ping-able but would drop off the mesh. I finally wound up moving it so it could daisy-chain back to the main router using wireless backhaul instead, and it's been a lot more reliable since then.

So, here's my theory: I think that if a node connects to the main AP/router over a lossy wired backhaul, the firmware handles it poorly, and powerline is notoriously inconsistent in all but the very best conditions. That's not to say it's the powerline adapter's *fault* as such, it's just that the tech is ill-suited for this application. Is getting rid of the powerline rig really out of the question?

I think that if a node connects to the main AP/router over a lossy wired backhaul, the firmware handles it poorly

AiMesh is useless if it can't handle a little lossy Ethernet! :)

OE

AiMesh is useless if it can't handle a little lossy Ethernet! :)

OE
Well, the thing is, that's kind of my take too, but I'm already past the return period for the hardware so I'm going to make the best of it. It's mostly OK, most of the time, but I really do wish it could do a better job recovering from error conditions without my help.

My thoughts exactly, which is why when a drop off zombie node happens it would be great to have a way to recover it remotely. If just for recovery reasons

I was being sarcastic. We're back to debating how much network instability is to be tolerated. My position is still "none"... lossy Ethernet is unacceptable here.

Do you have another router you can swap into the attic to see how it performs there and how the current attic router performs elsewhere?

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!