What's new

Aimesh Nodes Daisy Chain?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wah00kid

Occasional Visitor
Hey all,

Question on how the aimesh Nodes connect back to main router.

If I have a wireless node can I connect another wireless node to that one further away from main router or does a wireless node always have to hit the main router.

Same question but with wired. Can I connect a node via lan and then connect another wired node to that node.

Also I guess could I have a wireless node that I then connect another node too via LAN?

Also if I have 20ish devices on a network will I see substantial improvement if I lay the lab lines.

I'm running ac-rt3100 as my main with 3 current ac-rt86 one of which is wired. I am thinking of adding a fourth node.

My apartment is 2400 sq feet but it sprawls in every direction and no joke 1930s construction with foot thick concrete walls in a lot of places.

first you need all the nodes to connect to the main router during setup but after that you can chain a node to another node wired or wireless. you can even mix and match between wired and wireless.

At one time there was a discussion of AiMesh topology which did mention some limits to daisy-chaining nodes. I think the info came from early ASUS documentation. Yes, there are limits, especially for wireless. In your case you'd be much better off pulling cable to remote areas. Also, unless each interior wall is concrete, you may be over-killing with nodes. Too much overlap can cause problems.

Your description just reminded me of a condo development I looked at in the late 1980s. It was near downtown Chicago (on the river) that was a converted cold-storage warehouse. Many walls were over 1 foot solid comcrete and likely other insulation (since concrete conducts temperature). This building likely dated from the 1930s.

Last edited:
Yes. Once added/paired the nodes can be relocated and will attempt to find a path to the router - either directly or chained through another node. You generally don't need to do anything but might need to adjust Roaming Assistant if the distances are too close or too far for the default threshold.

Thats what I need to happen. its currently like that but sometimes the far one will connect across the house to the main router. Is there a way to force the far node to connect to the one in the middle of my house (which is connected to the router wirelessly)

Thats what I need to happen. its currently like that but sometimes the far one will connect across the house to the main router. Is there a way to force the far node to connect to the one in the middle of my house (which is connected to the router wirelessly)
Have you found a sulution? I want to do same thing: orce the far node to connect to the one in the middle of my house .

I need to daisy chain the nodes too... and it's still happening in 2024.. seems like Asus' development on Mesh is super slow...
their latest firmware release which was in November 2023 fixed the high CPU usage..
I hope Merlin implements that fix into his build!

You can configure a node's uplink (AP) through the Main router's AiMesh settings. If you want a node to connect (wirelessly) through a different node or the router, select that node in the AiMesh topology display, then go to Management (on the right side) and change Preferred WiFi Uplink AP from Auto and select the uplink from the listed APs. You may need to reboot the node you are trying to change.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!