What's new

Aimesh roaming delay time more than 10 seconds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nde

New Around Here
2 ac66u b1, latest official firmware, aimesh, ethernet backhaul
tested on Huawei P20Pro

The roaming delay time is average 500ms when tested with an android app named Wifibox on P20Pro. Only 1~2 ping packet lost.

But it takes more than 10 seconds to resume the internet access in any other app, e.g. the explorer app. The wifi signal indicator in android statusbar is very good at this time. Sometimes I have to close and reopen the explorer since it dose not resume after 30 seconds.

Dose anybody have this problem?

I know I am late to the party but maybe this reply could save some time for seekers like myself encountering this thread from Google:

Hello @HBTA, I experienced the same issue with 10-20 seconds delay after switching between AiMesh nodes (RT-AC68U + RP-AC55). The interesting part is that ping monitoring utilities (on both iOS, Android and just ping on Windows) worked perfectly during the node switch, at most one packet 100ms delay, and also Wi-Fi indicator transition from weak signal to strong signal instantly, but all the application traffic got stuck during this time, causing calls loss. Also what I noticed (maybe just my feelings and not the real case), that if browsing Web via browser during this time, jumping around the pages on the website you have opened already got stuck, however going to the new tab and opening website you did not have opened with the old AiMesh node works fine without any delays. This made me thinking that there is something happening with TCP-connections.

Solution that worked for me:
After trying many different things from this forum, I found this:

Disabling NAT acceleration mentioned there did the trick and now transition works perfectly without any hiccups during calls. This gave instant result unlike Wi-Fi options tuning like channels, Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming toggling.

Uneducated guess which can be wrong:
It seems to be that NAT acceleration for TCP and UDP is doing some optimizations that are failing during transitioning from one AiMesh node to another. And ping uses ICMP protocol, which does not have ports and is processed differently by NAT, maybe that is why ping works good during node switch unlike TCP.

with your android phone when you connect to Asus wi-fi are you using MAC address type Phone MAC or Randomized MAC - I had same challenges if it was Randomized MAC what looks like in android 9/10 is default.

with your android phone when you connect to Asus wi-fi are you using MAC address type Phone MAC or Randomized MAC - I had same challenges if it was Randomized MAC what looks like in android 9/10 is default.
This is what fixed it for me as well. I had to change all my phones and tablets.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!