What's new

Aimesh router recommend?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thanh

Occasional Visitor
I just bought new router RT-AX88U to replace my current main router RT-AC88U with RT-AC68P Wire Aimesh node in my bedroom and RT-AC3100 Wire Aimesh in Garage
So now i have 4 router RT-AC88U,RT-AC3100,RT-AC68U,RT-AC68P can you help me choose 2 router for AImesh node?
Thank you much

The RT-AC88U and RT-AC3100 both have newer radios than the two RT-AC68 devices, so use them as nodes, and resell the two RT-AC68 (they still have decent market value).

The RT-AC3100 would get my vote here. :)

Is AImesh stable? I have two AC86U in Router + AP config... wondering if I gain moving them to Aimesh?

Besides the obvious, I'd bet on more seamless roaming. Let us know!

OE

Is AImesh stable? I have two AC86U in Router + AP config... wondering if I gain moving them to Aimesh?

I have the AX88U and AC68U. Tried them in AiMesh mode. The problem I had was when the clients were still attached to the farthest router/node, the clients would become unusable until it decided to switch to the nearest node/router, but this could be minutes. I tried it for a few hours and everyone in the house that moved around would complain of very bad wireless connections. What I discovered is that while my phone was connected to a far node/router, the latency would go up to very high levels, ping when through the roof, and what was a 110Mb/s connection to WAN became a 0.5Mb/s connection.

I now have the AC68U as an AP, set the power levels and the Roaming assist level, and I have a better roaming experience now. Seamless. Even at the point of switching, the connection is at least stable.

I will be swapping the AC68U for a AC88U to go in AP mode, with my AX88U as the main, so maybe this world make a difference in the AiMesh experience? But for me setting up a manual roaming config is much better,

Last edited:
I have the AX88U and AC68U. Tried them in AiMesh mode. The problem I had was when the clients were still attached to the farthest router/node, the clients would become unusable until it decided to switch to the nearest node/router, but this could be minutes. I tried it for a few hours and everyone in the house that moved around would complain of very bad wireless connections. What I discovered is that while my phone was connected to a far node/router, the latency would go up to very high levels, ping when through the roof, and what was a 110Mb/s connection to WAN became a 0.5Mb/s connection.

I now have the AC68U as an AP, set the power levels and the Roaming assist level, and I have a better roaming experience now. Seamless. Even at the point of switching, the connection is at least stable.

I will be swapping the AC68U for a AC88U to go in AP mode, with my AX88U as the main, so maybe this will make a difference in the experience.

What setting did you use for wireless on the AP? Did you use the same SSIDs as the AX88U?

What setting did you use for wireless on the AP? Did you use the same SSIDs as the AX88U?

I use the same wireless settings on both Router and AP, also with the same SSID and passwords.

Just be sure to use different bands on the router and the AP.

Adjust the Tx power for both, so you don't get massive overlaps of the wireless areas.

Play with the Roaming Assistance levels, this will tell the router or AP at what level to ditch the client.

And honestly this works better than AiMesh, in my personal experience.

Last edited:
I use the same wireless settings on both Router and AP, also with the same SSID and passwords.

Adjust the Tx power for both, so you don't get massive overlaps of the wireless areas.

Play with the Roaming Assistance levels, this will tell the router or AP at what level to ditch the client.

My current AiMesh works pretty good but I would like to put some of my IoT devices on a guest wireless and AiMesh nodes do not support guest wireless. Thanks for the information.

Do you have to wire them together? I couldn't get it to work wirelessly

I just bought new router RT-AX88U to replace my current main router RT-AC88U with RT-AC68P Wire Aimesh node in my bedroom and RT-AC3100 Wire Aimesh in Garage
So now i have 4 router RT-AC88U,RT-AC3100,RT-AC68U,RT-AC68P can you help me choose 2 router for AImesh node?
Thank you much
I have a related but slightly different question. What is the cheapest node that I can buy that will do Aimesh using my RT-AC86U with Merlin inside as the main router? I would do wired backhaul. In searching Amazon for Aimesh, it looks like the RP-AC55 does Aimesh for about $55. Or would I be better of with a used AC66 Has anyone done that configuration?

I have a related but slightly different question. What is the cheapest node that I can buy that will do Aimesh using my RT-AC86U with Merlin inside as the main router? I would do wired backhaul. In searching Amazon for Aimesh, it looks like the RP-AC55 does Aimesh for about $55. Or would I be better of with a used AC66 Has anyone done that configuration?

Maybe better with the AC66U_B1, but another 86U would afford you hardware backup.

OE

I currently have an RT-AX88u and a RT-AC68u setup in an AIMesh configuration. I agree with "tekrich" in that devices take time to switch between node and master and they connect to whatever they seem to want to connect too. I was hoping that with a node setup at one end of the house and master at the other end I could get good coverage inside and out. I do get more reliable connections with devices that connect with node or master, but radio signals with the setup and with using the routers individually seems different. Outside of the house where the node is, my Iphone still connects with the master at the far end of the house. If I wait 15 minutes it might switch and then I might get a better signal. Other issue I noticed is that when your looking at connected devices, you only see real time connection throughput on the master. The node catches the data and gives a run time, but never continues to show the throughput in real time like the master does. I am wondering if anyone else who is using this combination sees this. I am also using the Merlin 384.18 updates on both.

Other issue I noticed is that when your looking at connected devices, you only see real time connection throughput on the master. The node catches the data and gives a run time, but never continues to show the throughput in real time like the master does.

I use the Asus Router app and this shows you the real-time device throughput for devices connected to the router and the node.

Edit: I may have misinterpreted what you meant and the Asus app doesn't update the Tx and Rx values in real-time. It shows you what they are at the point of viewing the device. The up and down traffic in the app is real-time though.

Last edited:
Interesting that this works when using app. When logging into the master from my desktop, the node data does not show live updates. Also with this mesh setup, one of the ROKU sticks that I have will not connect to the master which is 10' away, line of sight, no blocks, but connects to the node which is 3 walls and 20' away. This is the strange crap I see with the mesh setup.