What's new

AiMesh RT-AC5300 and RT-AC68U same SSID for the two 5Ghz channels?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Orb33

New Around Here
Hi, I just got my RT-AC5300 and RT-AC68U set up on AiMesh with the AC5300 as router and AC68U as node, respectively with no Ethernet connection between the two routers. I am wondering if I should use the same SSID for the two 5Ghz channels. I noticed that when I use different SSIDs and connect my Chromecast to a 5Ghz on my node, it keeps disconnecting, probably because the node keeps changing from 5G-1 to 5G-2 as different devices switches from one channel to another on the node.

Will using the same SSID for the two 5G channels while keeping the 2.4G channel on a different SSID solve the issue? Thanks.

I use the same SSID for the 2) 5g channels and a separate one for the 2.4 channel on my 5300.

The 68u only supports one 5g channel, so you are not seeing the device changing channels on the 68u. You may be seeing disconnects from the roaming of the devices and it bouncing back and forth between 68u and the 5300.

edit: Unless you are talking about maybe the channel in use by the node has changed ?

Or
I have never used a chromecast and have no clue about it. But if it remembers WiFi networks you may need to adjust its settings, to forget one SSID. It may be giving up on one SSID and then trying another. Which in that case it could be attempting to reconnect to the 5300 due to the 68u only have the 1 5g channel.

If you do have smart connect enabled it has a dwell setting that should trigger and keep the bouncing from happening for 1800 seconds. (Between the 2 5g channels on the 5300)

* However be warned, I never mess with the smart connect rules. I leave them alone. I think most others with a 5300 or any devices that supports smart connect does the same.

Personally I have found using the same SSID the best option for me.

Last edited: