What's new

AiMesh usability poll - Version 3.0.0.4.384 20308

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Is AiMesh usable in its current form (version 3.0.0.4384 20308)?

• I am using it now and happy with it

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • I am using it now, but experiencing instability and disconnects

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • I tried it, but stopped using it, as it’s not yet ready for prime time

Votes: 15 25.4%

• Total voters
Thank you. I've disabled RA from my AiMesh and will report back in a few days,

regards,

I had a 2.4 GHz guest network client parked on its charger near a node and could not understand why it kept reconnecting endlessly in the General Log due to poor RSSI. Then it dawned on me that the guest network was only broadcasting from the router node much farther away... duh. So, I decreased the RA RSSI threshold from the default of -55 to -60 dBm. That helped to reduce the log activity.

Point being... guest networks need to be supported on nodes!

I did learn that a station listed with idx 1 in the Wireless Log is a client connected to guest network 1. Now if only the Wireless Log could indicate which node a client is connected to... that would be more helpful than all of those yeses and nos.

OE

RT-AC86u - AIMesh router - latest fw
RT-AC68u - AIMesh node - latest fw

Work ok.

RT-AC86U Main Router
2x RT-AC5300 Nodes
1x RT-AC68U Node

Have been using AiMesh since its official release and I continue to use it. All of my above routers are running the latest AiMesh firmware on each router. In General, I am not using QoS, Smart Connect, and or VPN, AiProtection and RA is also enabled. In my environment, I have also disabled the 5GHZ band, because of stability, nodes going offline. It has helped in my environment.

Biggest issue, stability of nodes.

My bucket list/suggestions/observations, for the future development work of AiMesh deployment:
  1. Node support for Guest Account/s should be available.
  2. Client Mac address Filtering by Node should be available.
  3. Interface connection type, being visible on the Node client listing by client
  4. Mac Address of clients, being visible on the Node client listing
  5. Ability to change/modify client names via the Node client listing
  6. Ability to change/modify the transmit signal strength level on Nodes
  7. A Reboot Schedule MUST be available on Nodes.
  8. Continued improvement of Stability issues - Offline Nodes.
  9. Have a led light indicator (red) at the node (router) level, so that when according to the Web UI, a node has gone offline.
  10. Continued improvements of main router client listing (ALL), i.e. showing correct interface type connection, still not correct after latest firmware update for the AC86U, (even after completing a factory reset/initialize and then completing a manual reconfig of the main router AC86U.
  11. Improved compatibility between tri and dual band routers, e.g. not being able to disable the second 5GHZ band on a tri band router (AC5300) as a node, when using a dual band main router (AC86U), i.e. when disabling the 5GHZ on the main router AC86U, one 5GHZ band is still running on my both AC5300 nodes.
  12. Firmware updates (generic AiMesh Fixes) for ALL compatible AiMesh routers being available/deployed at the same time. I understand this could be more difficult, as different problems may only exist on different router types.
  13. More AiMesh beta firmware releases (where possible), from ASUS, for user testing to this forum. It has gone a bit quiet of late.
  14. Continued Improvement of Mouse hover help over router settings. e.g. a ? is displayed over the Multi-User MIMO settings field, but no description is displayed (AC86U).
Comprehensive I know. I hope it's not too long winded in reading for everyone.

Over to ASUS techs, for anything that might be meaningful, in my above comments, to ASUS going forward with AiMesh, both in terms, of development/enhancements, as a firmware and marketing tool. I am hoping that someone from ASUS (any acknowledgement) reads my comments and takes them on board for discussions within ASUS..

Please free anyone to jump in and add own your comments and suggestions about my post.

And more importantly, any suggestions or problems with AiMesh, we should ALL (AiMesh Users) continue to send an email with the appropriate backup, to ASUS for support. Complaining about a problem wont help, unless you have already conveyed your problem/suggestion/s to ASUS support about AiMesh.

Last edited:
So, I have a question for you guys. Is there a general preference on how many AiMish nodes to have per given area?

For example, I am using the RT-AC86U router, which is already rated for "very large homes". My house is 2,500 Sq. Feet and doesn't have any bricks or heavy building materials blocking WiFi signals. The router is located downstairs fairly close to the center of the house. Even without AiMesh, I seem to be getting very good coverage with my router. Since I have two extra RT-AC68U routers, I configured them as AiMesh nodes (one for downstairs and one for upstairs).

But I am wondering, does it even make sense to add AiMesh nodes in my case and have slower WiFi connections on devices connected to the Mesh nodes? Not sure if I am solving a problem, which doesn't exist.

What are your thoughts on this?

So, I have a question for you guys. Is there a general preference on how many AiMish nodes to have per given area?

For example, I am using the RT-AC86U router, which is already rated for "very large homes". My house is 2,500 Sq. Feet and doesn't have any bricks or heavy building materials blocking WiFi signals. The router is located downstairs fairly close to the center of the house. Even without AiMesh, I seem to be getting very good coverage with my router. Since I have two extra RT-AC68U routers, I configured them as AiMesh nodes (one for downstairs and one for upstairs).

But I am wondering, does it even make sense to add AiMesh nodes in my case and have slower WiFi connections on devices connected to the Mesh nodes? Not sure if I am solving a problem, which doesn't exist.

What are your thoughts on this?

Measure and decide.

Walk around with a WiFi signal analyzer to see how your one router is covering your areas of use. Consider -60 to -40 dBm to be a good working signal. If you don't have dead zones or marginal signal problems, you don't need more radios. If you add a node, measure the good signal overlap... too much signal is not a good thing. Also, check the node WLAN MACs' RSSI and Tx/Rx rates in the Wireless Log to confirm node signal quality.

A previous rule of thumb might have been 1500 sq. ft. for 2.4 GHz and 750 sq. ft. for 5.0 GHz, but a newer/stronger router might break that rule... I think the 86U does.

Also consider covering outdoor living areas.

OE

two converted Tmobile 1900's to 68U's and 68P's.

with both 68u and 68p firmware, the node would frequently show as offline. would eventually come online and all was ok, but got annoying. the nest camera that would connect to the node would stay hung on the node that showed offline, so i'd get frequent alerts from Nest saying the camera was offline.

i've since been running RMerlin FW on both devices as a main/extender and haven't had any issues. will try AiMesh again when future firmware is released.

I have two AC3100 with AiMesh, one as router and the other as the node, which I've added after some time, both working with the latest fw. I'm using ethernet backhaul. The node goes offline very quickly and stays that way, regardlesss of smartconnect being on or off. It shows on the network map as a node, but is listed on the right hand side panel as offline. When I turn the node power off and on, the node connects again, but goes offline in less than five minutes. Cable is well connected, through a gigabit switch.

One of the few things I haven't tried is to delete the note, reset the router and add it with the ethernet cable already connected. Anyone with a similar experience who could perhaps throw some light onto this issue?

Many thanks.

LC

I had a 2.4 GHz guest network client parked on its charger near a node and could not understand why it kept reconnecting endlessly in the General Log due to poor RSSI. Then it dawned on me that the guest network was only broadcasting from the router node much farther away... duh. So, I decreased the RA RSSI threshold from the default of -55 to -60 dBm. That helped to reduce the log activity.

Point being... guest networks need to be supported on nodes!

I did learn that a station listed with idx 1 in the Wireless Log is a client connected to guest network 1. Now if only the Wireless Log could indicate which node a client is connected to... that would be more helpful than all of those yeses and nos.

OE
As long as MY stuff is adequately connected guests get what they get! The RT-AC3100 gives them all they need though..

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1x RT-AC3100 Main Router.
2x TM-AC1900's flashed to RT-AC68U nodes
1x RT-AC68U node

One TM-AC1900 was just flashed and brought online over the weekend that just passed. The other two nodes have been up for a couple of weeks. All is well thus far. Everything's connected with a solid signal. I even walked around the house with the Asus Router App enabled and watched my phone switch nodes effortlessly.

Can't complain but if Asus decides to take away two of my nodes I may just be that shady guy on eBay hawking the TM-AC1900 routers..

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Can't complain but if Asus decides to take away two of my nodes I may just be that shady guy on eBay hawking the TM-AC1900 routers..

This we already know! :D

OE

RT-AC86U Main Router
1x RT-AC68U Node

Very happy with this setup. All works very well. 1 thing on my wishlist: Guest wifi via the Node.