What's new

AiMesh wired clients

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

_Jon_

Occasional Visitor
I have one RT-AX86U acting as my main router, and a second one acting as an AiMesh node. they are connected together using their 2.5 gbe ports. The main router is then connected to an unmanaged gbe switch which delivers wired ethernet to several rooms in my house. I have noticed on the GUI that some wired clients appear to be connected to the AiMesh node and other clients appear to be connected to the main router. What's more, the list of wired clients connected to the AiMesh node seems to change every few minutes. Can anyone explain why this is? Is this just a quirk of the GUI, or does this actually mean that sometimes my wired traffic has to pass through the mesh node unnecessarily? yes, I understand that all network traffic is visible by all devices on the same subnet, but that's not what I mean. Shouldn't these routers be smart enough to know which devices are physically connected to them (or to a downstream switch) and which are connected to the AiMesh node (or a switch downstream of that node). Or, does the unmanaged switch make it impossible for the devices to know where the physical connection exists? This is not causing any issues for me, but I am curious about what is going on. Can anyone explain? Thanks.

I have one RT-AX86U acting as my main router, and a second one acting as an AiMesh node. they are connected together using their 2.5 gbe ports. The main router is then connected to an unmanaged gbe switch which delivers wired ethernet to several rooms in my house. I have noticed on the GUI that some wired clients appear to be connected to the AiMesh node and other clients appear to be connected to the main router. What's more, the list of wired clients connected to the AiMesh node seems to change every few minutes. Can anyone explain why this is? Is this just a quirk of the GUI, or does this actually mean that sometimes my wired traffic has to pass through the mesh node unnecessarily? yes, I understand that all network traffic is visible by all devices on the same subnet, but that's not what I mean. Shouldn't these routers be smart enough to know which devices are physically connected to them (or to a downstream switch) and which are connected to the AiMesh node (or a switch downstream of that node). Or, does the unmanaged switch make it impossible for the devices to know where the physical connection exists? This is not causing any issues for me, but I am curious about what is going on. Can anyone explain? Thanks.

An observation...

Client connection status is historically uncertain, may take time to settle, and may be affected by your switch.

For the price, I ignore it and hope for future improvement.

OE

Last edited:
Yeah, i shared the same experience with you. I used to connect one of the LAN ports on AX88U to a switch which in turn connect to the low bandwidth devices (TV/Blinds/Sound systems). Those devices which are behind the switch will appear all over the place, sometimes under AX88U and sometimes in one of the AImesh node. As soon as I remove the switch, i.e. devices are connected directly to AX88U or the AImesh, the clients look correctly identify on the Router page.