What's new

AIMesh with a pair of AX55 in AP mode - set static IP for node?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GeeM

New Around Here
Hello All,

I successfully installed a pair of AX55 with AIMesh in AP mode in order to cover my office space. However, I like to organise my network equipement in a specific IP range (*.*.*10-20, outside of my DHCP range which is managed differently). I could set a static IP for the parent AP, but I didn't find a way to do it for the node AP which is getting an IP address from the DHCP range. I know this question has been asked before but I still haven't found a solution: do you know a working trick to set a static IP on the AP node?

I tried to ssh the command
Code:
nvram set re_mode=0 static
which enabled the access to the webUI of the node AP but when I changed the IP configuration, it broke my AIMesh connection and the node switched to repeater mode.

Any idea on how to do that? Maybe another command in ssh?

It's too bad Asuswrt doesn't offer this option natively...

Thank you for your help

do you know a working trick to set a static IP on the AP node?

Static - no. Your only option is DHCP reservation on your main router and test if AiMesh works this way. If you really want static IP - turn the second AX55 into Repeater with the same SSIDs. This is what AiMesh is doing anyway*. Then you have access to WebUI. The performance and roaming is the same.

* - in wireless AiMesh

Thank you for your replies. I forgot to mention that both of my AX55 are connected through ethernet and it was initially set in ethernet backhaul mode as they far apart (basically on each end of the building to cover the entire surface).

hm I think you do not undestood Asus AiMesh https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1043044/#:~:text=What is Access Point(AP,functions are disable by default.

"Set Mesh router as AP mode, and make sure front router/modem do have DHCP server and working. Cause all IP address from mesh system should dispatch from the front router/modem"
I think I get the point of AIMesh which is ultimately a simplified way to manage different Access Points through a single interface. And I also don't see a technical difficulty in having a static IP on the node (I would even think that it will make things easier to have a static route to the APs instead of DHCP which may change over time).

I have another setup with XT8 but in this case, the Asus router acts as a router and DHCP server and I was able to set static IP for all nodes with DHCP reservation on the router.

Static - no. Your only option is DHCP reservation on your main router and test if AiMesh works this way. If you really want static IP - turn the second AX55 into Repeater with the same SSIDs. This is what AiMesh is doing anyway*. Then you have access to WebUI. The performance and roaming is the same.

* - in wireless AiMesh
That was my plan B, except that the AiMesh was not wireless but wired. So in my case, I believe the best is to set 2x separate APs with the same settings?

So in my case, I believe the best is to set 2x separate APs with the same settings?

Yes, you'll have more controls available (Tx Power, Roaming Assistant levels) and possible up to 2x higher aggregate throughput when you run the APs on different Wi-Fi channels. AiMesh is a single limited control UI for wireless repeaters and wired access points with only real benefit Guest Network to nodes. If you don't need Guest Network - AP Mode is the better option. I don't know why you have purchased 2x AX55 routers. AX-class access points with native VLAN support and PoE are available starting about $100. Asus marketing is working well, I guess.

I struggled with this too, but found a solution.

I have all 4 of my AI Mesh Nodes with static IP addresses. But, you can't change it after you've set the node into AP mode. You have to set the static IP address before setting the device up as a node.

When I was in your situation, I did a factory reset on the node. Then, I plugged it in to my network, and I saw it show up on my DHCP table. Then, I set the reservation for the IP address I wanted it to have. Then, I told my router to add a Node to the AI Mesh. Once the node was added, it had the IP address I'd assigned to it in the earlier step.

Yes, you'll have more controls available (Tx Power, Roaming Assistant levels) and possible up to 2x higher aggregate throughput when you run the APs on different Wi-Fi channels. AiMesh is a single limited control UI for wireless repeaters and wired access points with only real benefit Guest Network to nodes. If you don't need Guest Network - AP Mode is the better option. I don't know why you have purchased 2x AX55 routers. AX-class access points with native VLAN support and PoE are available starting about $100. Asus marketing is working well, I guess.
I recently picked up an AX55 for the same type of use for $105 on Amazon. The specs it had for $100 fit my needs and the amount I was looking to spend.

Yes, I also wanted to setup a Guest Network and yes, there are probably better technical solutions on the market but since I am very familiar with Asuswrt and it did meet most of my requirements, I found it was a good solution (and possibly compatible with other setups I have in case I need to move equipment from one place to another). I am based in Europe and I paid 85€ for my AX55s (~$92).

I struggled with this too, but found a solution.

I have all 4 of my AI Mesh Nodes with static IP addresses. But, you can't change it after you've set the node into AP mode. You have to set the static IP address before setting the device up as a node.

When I was in your situation, I did a factory reset on the node. Then, I plugged it in to my network, and I saw it show up on my DHCP table. Then, I set the reservation for the IP address I wanted it to have. Then, I told my router to add a Node to the AI Mesh. Once the node was added, it had the IP address I'd assigned to it in the earlier step.
Thanks for sharing this trick. Is your DHCP on your Asus main router or on a separate device?
In my case, the DHCP is managed by a server on the network, so I can setup my AIMesh with DHCP at first but I will have to switch to AP mode and disable DHCP before plugging them into my network. In that case, would node keep the static IP?

Thank you

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!