What's new

AiProtection does not work when connected to VPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mirage22

Regular Contributor
Hi,

Could someone confirm if AiProtection works when connected to the VPN in client mode?

I used a VM Virtualbox debian linux for testing, and I didn't find AiProtection working.

Last edited:
Anyone else with the same issue and knows of a fix?
No, after reading this I just checked out of curiosity. I'm away from home, connected to my router over 3G via OpenVPN and AiProtection is blocking exactly as it would if I'd be sitting at home using my Wi-Fi.

http://wrs41.winshipway.com/

The above URL will be blocked if you have AiProtection blocking enabled, even over VPN. Works for me, no issue here.

hey thanks for checking that.
I guess you are referring to VPN server configured on your router.

How about OpenVPN client configured on your router (privateinternetaccess, ipvanish, btguard etc) and you are trying to surf from behind your router as always. This is not working. Looks like the queries to Trend are going from outside the VPN client tunnel.

hey thanks for checking that.
I guess you are referring to VPN server configured on your router.

How about OpenVPN client configured on your router (privateinternetaccess, ipvanish, btguard etc) and you are trying to surf from behind your router as always. This is not working. Looks like the queries to Trend are going from outside the VPN client tunnel.

Oh, I see, so you're referring to the router being the VPN client and connecting to a VPN server, so that all wi-fi, lan, etc. traffic from the router is going through that remote VPN. Well, I am not sure if my VPN provider supports this, which is why I have never tested this so far. I'd love to be able to check that right now but I'll have to pass...

Would be interesting to know though. We would need to know what firmware version you're using on what router model. So I assume it's not confirmed whether this has ever worked before in the first place?

I am on the latest firmware .55. It wasn't working on .54 as well.

AiProtection at the router level seems to be unable to tunnel its requests to Trend's servers just like the rest of the traffic. I guess it's circumventing the vpn tunnel and hence unable to provide protection inside the tunnel.