What's new

AirVPN Performance Issues: Router or Servers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CODYQX4

Occasional Visitor
I seem to be getting a massive loss of speed when using AirVPN on ASUS Merlin Firmware (Alpha 3 2/28 RT5300), whereas their client when connected to the same server is much faster (when not using VPN via Router for that client).

I run PIA on VPN#1 and lose at most 3Mbps at the worst. AirVPN however is struggling to take my connection past 10Mbps and that's only when jumping on their least loaded USA server.

Last morning here were my average speeds (note for some reason I was getting much more speed than 50Mbps which is what I pay for, it normally is between 47-52Mbps):
Straight WAN: 65Mbps
VPN#1 PIA: 63Mbps (About 2Mbps Speed Loss as normal)
VPN#2 AIR: 3-8Mbps (Massive loss in performance)

I tried them all today and here's the results
Straight WAN: 50Mbps (Normal Max Speed)
VPN#1 PIA: 48Mbps (About 2Mbps Speed Loss as normal)
VPN#2 AIR: 5-10.5Mbps (Massive loss in performance)

If I run a VM that doesn't go through any VPN, it gets the full WAN speed, and gets at least 30Mbps and often hits 40+ (average seems to be 41.3Mbps in this case), but on the router it just doesn't handle well. Their client does seem to drop out a lot though, probably due to well-known Windows 10 issues, but even then will belt out 5X the speed of the router on average once it gets going.

Any suggestions? None of the servers I'm hitting seem to be overloaded.

I am using FWMarks for selective port routing which I heard ruled out CTF (NAT Acceleration) issues, also I tried turning that off and not a single ounce of performance was gained when using AirVPN through the router, so I turned CTF (NAT Acceleration) back on.

I'm having a similar issue, but PIA is the one giving me a massive throughput drop. Would you please share your settings? Maybe I have something choking things up.
What VPN Setting for PIA