What's new

Newbie would appreciate some assistance! (Virgin Media broadband, Asus RT-AC86U router)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shasarak

Regular Contributor
Hi, guys. Utterly clueless newbie, here. :oops: I've decided to throw myself on your mercy! o_O

I've recently switched broadband provider, from BT (FTTC broadband) to Virgin Media (cable broadband), because I was looking for more speed. (I'm in the UK, there is no pure-fibre broadband provider in my area).

With BT my line speed used to max out at around 75Mb/s; with a VPN connection active, I didn't see much slowdown - could easily hit 60 or even 70Mb/s.

With Virgin, the raw download speed (measured at www.speedtest.net) is much higher - in the 350-400Mb/s range most of the time, albeit with slightly higher ping times. But I've been having all kinds of problems with VPN connections. For example:
  • When connecting to my office for work, the SonicWall GlobalVPN client now refuses to connect at all. (It worked fine with BT).
  • The backup work VPN, which uses an old version of OpenVPN, connects okay with TCP, but won't connect at all using UDP.
  • PPTP connections to a domestic VPN provider seem to be limited to around 10-15Mb/s.
  • Open VPN UDP connections to domestic VPN run significantly slower than OpenVPN TCP connections - sometimes the speed drops by as much as two thirds with UDP. (With BT, UDP was faster).
  • In general, domestic VPN speeds to be dramatically much lower than the line speed - I'm lucky if I get 100Mb/s most of the time.
  • I sometimes get much slower performance with bittorrent downloads than the general line speed would suggest. With no VPN, I can download a Ubuntu installation via bittorrent at 360Mb/s or even more; with VPN up it can drop to as little 12Mb/s. This varies a lot depending on the connection protocol - OpenVPN is much the same speed for bittorrent as it is in general use, but with some other protocols it varies wildly.
The PC is reasonably powerful - it's a desktop, with a quad-core i7-3770K CPU, overclocked to 3.5GHz, 16GB of RAM, running Windows 10. I'm connecting directly to the router via Gigabit ethernet.

Initial research suggested that the so-called Superhub 3.0 router that Virgin Media supply you with has a number of problems in all kinds of situations, and that things may run smoother if you put it into "modem mode" - meaning, it functions purely as a cable modem, and you use your own router. Based on no knowledge and rather sketchy research, I got myself an Asus RT-AC86U - hopefully not too bad a choice! Again based on rather sketchy research, I've flashed it with the latest version of Asuswrt-Merlin.

Sadly, it doesn't seem to be making much difference - VPN performance is relatively unchanged, and it doesn't seem to make much odds whether I'm using a VPN connection on my PC, or connecting directly with the router itself.

My normal domestic VPN supplier is Trust.Zone, but I did try briefly signing up with a few others - PureVPN, IPVanish, and ExpressVPN; performance remained unimpressive with all of them. (With one or two exceptions: PureVPN's web browser extension was much faster, but I'm fairly sure that's because it's actually unencrypted; similarly, an L2TP from the router was very fast, but again I think that's L2TP without IPSEC, meaning it's unencrypted).

So, sorry for the wall of text(!) but I'd appreciate some advice on any or all of the following:
  • Getting VPN connections to work faster (or even just work at all!) with Virgin Media broadband.
  • Suggestions for a different VPN provider whose performance might be better.
  • Any tips on configuring VPN connections on my PC.
  • Advice on setting up an Asus RT-AC86U router (plus PC and cable modem) for better VPN performance.

EDIT: I have, incidentally, found this thread: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/h...and-other-vpn-providers-380-69_2-03-29.30851/ but it's going to take me quite a while to figure out how much of it is of general relevance and how much of it is specific to one particular VPN provider. :)

Can you confirm a couple of points.

1. Your VPN client software is running on your PC not the router?

2. Everything you tried before the paragraph starting "Initial research suggested that the so-called Superhub 3.0..." was done just with the Superhub in "router" mode, not with an Asus router connected?

3. After you connected the Asus router did you change the Superhub to "modem mode"?

Can you confirm a couple of points.

1. Your VPN client software is running on your PC not the router?

2. Everything you tried before the paragraph starting "Initial research suggested that the so-called Superhub 3.0..." was done just with the Superhub in "router" mode, not with an Asus router connected?

3. After you connected the Asus router did you change the Superhub to "modem mode"?
Any time I'm using the Asus router, the superhub 3.0 is in modem mode.

I've tried setting up the VPN connection on my PC with the PC connecting directly to the Virgin hub in router mode; I've also tried setting up the connection on my PC connecting to the Asus router with the hub in modem mode; and I've tried setting up the connection on the Asus router (again, with the hub in modem mode). There doesn't seem to be all that much difference between the three options - in all three cases, for example, PPTP connections run like a three-legged dog with rickets....

Have a look on the Virgin Media forums. Particularly this: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/Vpn-throttling/td-p/3372391

EDIT: I see you've already been discussing this on the VM forums. I think you've covered everything there.

The penultimate post with this video is "interesting".

Interesting indeed!

How does one use SSL encryption with a VPN?

And yes, I did start a thread on the Virgin forums ( https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Speed/VPNs-PPTP-UDP-L2TP-and-P2P/td-p/3726978 ) but haven't had much in the way of useful advice yet!

EDIT: After some googling, it looks like OpenVPN uses SSL encryption...? That would explain my own findings - that Bittorrent runs horribly slowly with L2TP/IPSEC, but better with OpenVPN.
Now just need to find a way to improve OpenVPN performance.... :confused:

Last edited:
Many VPN providers will offer stealth options. They can range from:

• OpenVPN over TCP port 443 (the usual SSL port) instead of the default UDP port 1194
  • OpenVPN 2.4 --tls-crypt option to encrypt the control channel
  • OpenVPN over SSL (stunnel)
  • OpenVPN over SSH
  • IKEv2/IPSec
  • Tor
  • obfuscated Tor
  • shadowsocks service
  • obfsproxy service
  • L2TP/IPSec
  • PPTP
Apart from entirely avoiding the last three if you can afford it, due to serious security reasons, these options can be used to defeat many forms of VPN interference.

Apparently, the person in the video posted by ColinTylor switched from the default port to port 443 and trivially overcame this ISPs throttling. This should be possible from almost any OpenVPN provider.

If your "SonicWall GlobalVPN client" is up to date and is still failing, then either something is hardcoded to your old connection, or something changed at the business server, or if the client recently changed there was some incompatibility that broke the connection. You could try using some alternate client or find out the business server settings and what changed.

The best site for reviewing VPNs is the well-known That One Privacy Site: https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!