What's new

Allow bandwidth based on time of the day

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Z100

Occasional Visitor
Hello all,
is there any router which let me shape home wifi and ethernet traffic based on the time of the day ? Let's say my child have remote lessons from 9-15 and I allow full bandwidth for his mac address. But after 3pm it will be limited automatically to i.e.: 30%.
It is important to shape not only wifi but also ethernet/wired traffic.

@Z100 - I presume you're trying to ensure internet connection fairness at any given time? If so, the solution there is likely way better delivered via SQM on the router's WAN interface, versus any kind of scheduled classic QoS approach alone. There are plenty of options out there that will run SQM effectively enough, from the completely "turn-key" options such as Eero or IQRouter to more DIY setups like OpenWRT on compatible Qualcomm-based all-in-one hardware.

If you do have a reason to apply scheduling beyond just ensuring fairness at any given time, then you'll probably need an advanced firewall OS (and the matching skill to administrate it). I'm talking about the likes of Untangle, Mikrotik RouterOS, OpenWRT, etc. If you want to throttle your local wireless as well, then you'll most likely need either OpenWRT-compatible consumer hardware, or for a more well-supported option, enterprise-class APs whose software offers scheduled shaping (Aruba has it and I believe Ruckus may as well).

The reason is that I am trying to limit the bandwidth for my children when they come back from the school. I don't have big budget for it and my background is IT so I can manage ore sophisticated solutions. The question is which operating system is the most customisable, open source and then I might find device running the system.

Isnt that parental control will have such option

So OpenWRT is the only system which let me do that in more "sophisticated" (read: tune/tweak) way ?

You could probably also script a scheduled timeline of allowed amount of bandwidth using Mikrotik RouterOS, but doing it is going to be very far from plug'n'play.

Why exactly are you wanting to limit your children's bandwidth, specifically? Is it an attempt to reduce/discourage them from consuming certain content, or is it to preserve connection quality for certain other users/devices? If it's the latter, again, I think you're simply better off using SQM on the WAN interface and calling it a day.

We have very good bandwidth and the only reason is, as you said, to discourage them from consuming any content. I want us, parents, to still be able to use it but make it dog slow for them (but not turn it off completely).

Got it. Actually, not sure why I didn't think of this before -- I would take a look at Untangle, which can most likely accomplish what you're looking to do via the Bandwidth Control portion of the OS -- and it's all point-and-click. Granted, it will take some careful creation of Policies, then applying those to selected hosts (your kids' devices) inside Bandwidth Control, but it will work.

Per this KB article, you can apply the "Very Limited" and/or "Severely Limited" bandwidth classes to the kids devices during any time frame(s) you wish, where they will only allow up to a certain percentage of your WAN bandwidth (specified in the UI screen for overall total WAN download/upload in Mb/s). If you ratchet the percentage down to, say, 1% or 2%, that will probably produce the effect you're looking for. ;)

Untangle is not free, however. Home Protect Basic pricing is a pretty solid deal at $50/year for up to 50 devices and most of the Untangle apps, including Bandwidth Contro. Home Protect Plus gives you all apps and up to 150 devices for $150 a year, still a pretty good value. Here's the comparison chart.

As for what hardware to run Untangle on, you could order a ready-to-go appliance, such as the z4, or do your own Qotom box off Amazon (example - $240) or cheap/used SFF/tower PC with a multi-NIC Intel card and load Untangle yourself.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion but I am looking for free solution. I mean I can spend some money on hardware (wifi router) but that is all.
Also I need something I can fully customise as one of my sons is IT clever and filtering based on i.e.: MAC address won't work as he will quickly discover how to fake it.

Last edited:
You can try Gargoyle. It's so easy to config.
I've been using it for years, well for limiting my kids traffic, with quota & time based.