What's new

Alternative to NextDNS - that works with and without merlin FW

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jata

Hi all,

I am a merlin user but I have issues with my RT-AX86S with AiMesh nodes and very fussy apple homepod minis. Basically Sometimes the homepods don't connect and it is very frustrating as I use them all the time.

The only add-on / script I use is nextDNS. I like it but I know there are alternatives for ad-blocking that do not rely on running scripts/merlin.

I have 2x Raspberry Pis on my network so I think I can setup an 'all of network' ad-blocking solutionusing either a RPI or something simple with DNS settings (e.g. quad 9).

Keen to get the views of the community for good alternatives for nextDNS that will work on both merlin and stock setups.

Many thanks in advance.

A good way to block adds is to use Diversion on your Merlin equipped router. Easy to install on a thumbdrive and has the same block lists as the Pi-Hole would use. On Merlin you can also use DoT to a filtered DNS service such as Quad9, Cloudflare Secure or CleanBrowsing along with Diversion. Save the Pi's for something fun. I use mine to run BOINC to process data for various good projects such as World Community Grid.

There are DNS services you can use on Asuswrt such as Adguard DNS.

Just as an FYI, You can use NextDNS without running any scripts. They have options for DOT/DOH/Linked IP which covers pretty much any device. I use Merlin with DNS-over-TLS and it works great.

thanks all. I am going to (temporarily) go back to stock on my router and all aiMesh nodes. Then try some of the great suggestions.

Really like the Control D concept. Will definitely look to switch to this but I have a few months of nextDNS paid service.

@fryedchikin - can you explain a bit more how I can get nextdns to work with DOT/DOH/Linked IP on Asus stock f/w?

Just as an update - I couldn't help it and I am doing a trial of Control D on a new / stock fw setup. I really miss some of the merlin enhancements though. Especially cake QOS!

Overall Control D is working really well and looks like a really strong alternative to nextDNS. I really like how you can configure redirects for video/streaming services. I have BBC iPlayer working in Australia without using VPN.

I still need to see how the router performs over the next couple of weeks - primarily to see if the following issues are resolved:

1. random router restart (happening on both 386.5 and 386.7 merlin)
2. Apple homepod mini connectivity issues across AiMesh nodes

I had lots of trouble with NextDNS (Slow speeds and Payment problems) so I tried AdGuard DNS (Just came out of Beta) and so far it works great on my Router.

I do not work for AdGuard. I believe you can still try it for free If you click on "Try Adguard DNS" in the upper right corner of the webpage.

Thanks. currently trying Control D and this is working well but it is not free. Might try AdGuard DNS if i get annoyed paying for Control D...

Thanks. currently trying Control D and this is working well but it is not free. Might try AdGuard DNS if i get annoyed paying for Control D...
https://controld.com/free-dns/

They do have a free dns with tons of options. I've been using it since it came out and it's been better than anything else I've tried.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!