What's new

Alternatives to EdgeRouter-X?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tgl

Very Senior Member
I've been using an ER-X for several years, and generally like it, but I'm starting to get pretty unhappy about Ubiquiti's lack of commitment to that product line. The main reason I want an off-the-shelf not DIY rig is that I'd rather have somebody else worry about security updates and such, but there's not been any evidence for awhile now that Ubiquity is holding up their end of that deal. I wonder what other choices people would recommend for wired-only routers with good software support. Note that I don't need top-of-the-line performance; this machine is connected to a pretty low-speed internet link.

Since you want off-the-shelve, have you looked at Mikrotik? I was very happy what it until i switched to pfsense.

if this is low speed internet link I would advice Asus RT-AC66U_B1 (it is hard to find it as they finish production but still available). If you will buy Asus RT-AC68U (very similar one, the same CPU etc) you need to remember that HW v4 is not supported by FreshTomato.
It will allow you to use RMerlin + amtm or if you need good VLAN support etc you can put FreshTomato on it. This router will allow to operate about 150Mbit with classis QoS (no CTF) and about 50Mbit on VPN. Normal operation you can get more than 900Mbit on it. Both FT and RMerlin looks like will support this router for long time.

The Edgerouter line continues to receive security updates, so if the ER-X is fine for your internet speed, I see no reason to replace it.