What's new

Ambient weather station won't connect after internet drops

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Woody1

Occasional Visitor
I have an Ambient weather station WS-2902C connected to an Asus RT-68U. Whenever I have a situation where the router loses its internet connection, the Ambient device will not automatically reconnect to the internet. The only way I've found to get the Ambient station connected to the internet again is to reboot the router. I've tried restarting services on the router, e.g., restart wifi, dhcp, etc, but nothing seems to work. Ambient support is useless. I'm using data from the Ambient device in an application which controls dehumidifiers, so it's a real problem when it loses connection.

A typical situation where this occurs is when I have a power outage. When that happens, the router comes up before the internet gateway, so it comes up without internet until the gateway catches up. I think that when the Ambient connects to the router without internet that's when it hangs up.

I'm trying to understand what's actually happening that's causing the problem. If I can figure out the issue, I can probably write a script on the router to fix it. Any ideas to try?

I'm not sure if that's the same issue. That one appears to drop connection at regular intervals for no apparent reason. Mine only drops when the router loses internet connection. Also, I don't think that mine ever reconnects without a router reboot.

What does the log show?
If the weather station is attempting to re-connect to the router it will be logged.
If the weather station is not making any attempt to reconnect then nothing will be logged.
Instead of rebooting the router have you tried restarting the weather station?

I schedule a nightly reboot to deal with my 2.4 GHz radio problem in relation to my Ambient device.

I've also bought a cheap basic UPS that my modem and router are plugged into to deal with power outages.

What does the log show?
If the weather station is attempting to re-connect to the router it will be logged.
If the weather station is not making any attempt to reconnect then nothing will be logged.
Instead of rebooting the router have you tried restarting the weather station?
Restarting the weather station doesn't do it, other than a complete factory reset. I'll look at the log next time it happens. I think that the weather station must be trying to connect to the router, because it connects right away when I reboot the router.

Last edited:
I schedule a nightly reboot to deal with my 2.4 GHz radio problem in relation to my Ambient device.

I've also bought a cheap basic UPS that my modem and router are plugged into to deal with power outages.
A nightly reboot wouldn't completely fix the problem, because I would lose hours worth of data until the router rebooted. I do have a UPS, but sometimes the outages last longer than the capacity of the UPS. Also, a brief failure of internet connectivity will cause the weather station to drop its connection, even though the router is still powered up. I need to understand what's happening when the weather station stops connecting and why a router reboot fixes it.

Your router and/or your weather station is not in a good/known state.

I don't believe that you will be able to fix this with 'understanding and a script'. Because this isn't how a normal router or client interacts.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!