What's new

American made routers and access points

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

As somone that used to work for a router manufacturer in Taiwan, I can tell you that there are very few companies in Taiwan that are capable of manufacturing routers these days, as most of that moved to xina or elsewhere.
As for the US, even if it says made in the US, it's most likely only assembled there, with the PCBs being made elsewhere.
There's a company in Lithuania that makes routers though, but they're fairly basic and focus on industrial use.
They use fairly basic Qualcomm hardware in most of their products. I know this is not the US, but it's the only company outside of Asia that I know of that makes everything, including their own firmware.

One thing to look for... TAA compliance - the PRC is not on that list... the OEM/Vendor has to certify there...

Trade Agreements Act & GSA​

GSA Schedule Contracts are subject to the Trade Agreements Act (TAA), meaning all products listed on the GSA Schedule Contract must be manufactured or “substantially transformed” in the United States or a TAA “designated country”. The designated TAA compliant countries are composed of:

• World Trade Organization Government Procurement Agreement Countries;
  • Free Trade Agreement Countries;
  • Least Developed Countries; and
  • Caribbean Basin Countries

Those units claimed to be assembled in North America have all of the parts manufactured in China, etc and then the unassembled units come here to the states for everything to be put together in one neat package. Nothing is going to be truly manufactured here in the U.S. unless it is speciality Government hardware.

Not quite true... but supply chain awareness is going to be key, so point granted there... my post was more about the supply chain issue with a company - Initio - and not being clear on the ownership chain which lands in China, and as such, must comply with Chinese law...

All of this crazy stuff going on right now with the "chip war" is likely going to backfire, as this just incentivises the other side to improve their technology - and FWIW, this is a national priority in their most recent 5-year Plan...

The US and the EU are kind of late to the game here...

Ban Tools for advanced IC nodes for design/manufacturing - well, SMIC has demo'ed 7nm processes... YMTC is doing 3D-NAND - there are a number of chip design houses that are working on RISC-V and native architectures that will soon match ARM and Intel/AMD...

People used to consider AllWinner, Rockchip, Amlogic as low-end, but guess what, outside of Qualcomm and Mediatek, these chips are getting pretty damn good at what they do - and let's not mention that they have access to AMD's Zen architecture for X86...

And where does that get the "West" - more competition and less dependence on tech invented in Europe and the US.

As somone that used to work for a router manufacturer in Taiwan, I can tell you that there are very few companies in Taiwan that are capable of manufacturing routers these days, as most of that moved to xina or elsewhere.
As for the US, even if it says made in the US, it's most likely only assembled there, with the PCBs being made elsewhere.
There's a company in Lithuania that makes routers though, but they're fairly basic and focus on industrial use.
They use fairly basic Qualcomm hardware in most of their products. I know this is not the US, but it's the only company outside of Asia that I know of that makes everything, including their own firmware.
Also Westermo's Irish company (formerly Virtual Access) doing R&D and Manufacturing in Ireland under both brands ............https://virtualaccess.com/ https://www.westermo.com/products/product-lines-and-brands/merlin ...

I am not finding any good information on what companies actually make their equipment in the states.

Most stuff is made in china such as TP-Link, Cisco, Aruba, and others.

Asus and others are made in Taiwan and a lot of manufacturing is moving there and to south korea as the quality consistency is better than china.

So far all i Can find is Avalon Wireless is made in the US and distributed by l-com.com.
I doubt you will find any actually made in the US - most are offshored because labor is so much cheaper. Heck, Seagate designs their hard drive production lines in Longmont, CO, and as soon as they have fixed any possible problems, takes it down and ships it overseas to be put back together and manufacture the drives there - it is cheaper to tear it down, ship it overseas, rebuild it and manufacture drives than it is to leave the production line in the US and pay US workers.

Guessing that you never read my post. As for chips, those are rarely made here since all chip manufacturers have production facilities in Asia to get around EPA laws.
That's not how it works though. TSMC is following all the laws with regards to which materials are allowed to be in ICs and they are spending a lot of funds on both water recycling and reducing waste. In Taiwan they are the biggest buyer of "green" energy while at the same time working on being as energy efficient as possible. See the link below if you are interested in reading up on it.

Also, the US has a ton of foundries and your comment just shows that you are clueless in the matter. Just because you're not personally familiar with the companies that manufacturers semiconductors in the US, doesn't mean it's no longer done there.
Please see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_semiconductor_fabrication_plants

As someone that is still in the device business - yes, one can still do production in Taiwan (RoC) - including the entire supply chain from PCB's to SoC's to the popcorn parts (RLC's) - it costs a bit more, but it can be done.

That being said - Vietnam is getting better and better all the time, and more manf is moving from Taiwan and Shenzen over to Vietnam...

India is also picking up as more contract manufacturers are moving over - as a country, the gov't is still working thru some of the tax/tariff issues, but things are getting better...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!