What's new

Aruba vs Cisco vs TP Link Omada vs Unifi Access Points

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Last time we had similar conversation @ChaoscripT mentioned he is renting. I don't know if this situation changed. Proper assessment and equipment choice can be done only on the spot. In theory I would go with wall plate style APs with Ethernet ports, low power 25-50mW (14-17 dBm) individually adjusted or controller assisted roaming depending on hardware choice, non-DFS lower 5GHz band, etc. This setup needs more than basic networking knowledge. Exchanging messages in a public forum won't help much.

Thanks for the info.

So just make sure,
If I buy a 3 APs of Cisco 150 AX I connect each of them direct to POE Switch then direct to my router (or another POE Switch then to router), and I can control all of them with Web GUI?
It's have support outside the house?

Also maybe you can answer me, what is different between the versions?
CBW150AX-E-EU and CBW150AX-B-NA?

Thanks.
You need to have your network working correctly, then yes. I have 3 Cisco 150ax APs plugged into my Cisco layer 3 POE+ switch and I can control all my APs from my local IP using a GUI. All 3 APs need access to each other on 1 VLAN. It can be a management VLAN or not. I use 2 VLANs with my Cisco APs. One VLAN for LAN and 1 VLAN for guest.
The Cisco 150ax will download the code to run so it takes a few minutes to get up and running. The first time it takes a while as I believe Cisco is running security checks and verifying hardware. I added an APC ups battery backup so my APs do not go offline when there is a power outage. Otherwise, there is a delay while you wait for the code to download again. My Cisco 150ax has been up and running now since last October when the last software update came out.

I believe the difference in those 2 APs is 1 is for North America and the other is for Europe. You need to buy the correct one for where you are located or the wireless will not run correctly. Make sure you buy the correct one.
And last be not least, I use a POE+ switch not a POE switch. You need to have the correct power requirements or you will have flaky service.

To me this is just normal pre-planning for a network setup. I do it quickly in my head.

Last edited:
That is how i manage my 371s. But search here for Cisco 150. There is at least one user that has them in their home lan.
The difference is the region for sales and likely different radio regulation and power input.
Do recognize that these are designed for corporate environment where more lower power APs are used for coverage rather than the typical home where the intent is one router/AP blasting out RF power to cover the maximum area.
i use 4 AC371 APs to cover 300 sqr meter (2x150) , two story, wood/gypsum board house. Most of my AP radios are running reduced power and i only use 5Ghz band. 2.4 Ghz is turned off as there was too much overlap in coverage and interference between the APs.

i do not understand your question "It's have support outside the house?".
I only used 5Ghz for a while. I thought it worked well. My wife bought some toys that only had 2.4Ghz support.
If your AP are interfering with each other because they are too close and you want to run 2.4Ghz then just turn 2.4Ghz on using 1 or 2 APs and leave the others turned off. You can adjust the power levels independently for each frequency and AP. So, you can run 2.4GHz if you want.

I only used 5Ghz for a while. I thought it worked well. My wife bought some toys that only had 2.4Ghz support.
If your AP are interfering with each other because they are too close and you want to run 2.4Ghz then just turn 2.4Ghz on using 1 or 2 APs and leave the others turned off. You can adjust the power levels independently for each frequency and AP. So, you can run 2.4GHz if you want.
Yes , went through that exercise. Coverage limits resulted in dead spots for 2.4 Ghz and could not reduce power enough in places, so just turned it off.

Yes , went through that exercise. Coverage limits resulted in dead spots for 2.4 Ghz and could not reduce power enough in places, so just turned it off.
I thought 2.4Ghz would go through everything. What is causing 2.4Ghz to be blocked? I don't really track it much as I prefer 5Ghz. I mainly use it for outside as it goes through my brick walls where 5Ghz is limited.

Three sheetrock walls + foil backed air return partially obstructing + 50ft air + wall mounted = just enough attenuation that bit rate drops significantly on 2.4GHz. That is at full power, Neighbors APs were not helping either. Adding the second AP at the rear, reducing power , and using only 5GHz = no gaps and seamless roaming.

Means, if I can control on the system in everywhere or just local?

What severely limits @ChaoscripT eventual success is the fact he lives in a bomb shelter style reinforced concrete home in an active war zone. Nothing is guaranteed to work there and taking advice from people in North America may result in huge waste of money for products impossible to return or exchange. Building materials aside the entire area is constantly monitored for RF transmissions and scanned by radar 24/7. RF violation may lead to actual jail time. The reasons I have no recommendations.

He knows what he talk.
But if the North America is more powerful mW, it's not prefer?

If only the exterior walls/roof are reinforced concrete with only a couple reinforced concrete interior structural walls, the rest nonstructural walls with typical metal or wood framing, then low power 5Ghz can work. Where i used to work we built blast resistant buildings with interior wifi. Exterior roof and walls heavily reinforced concrete and interior was typical office build out walls. Windows, if any, and doors were designed for the blast load as well.
If the interior walls are also structural load bearing and reinforced concrete, then what you say is very likely going to be an issue. i would look for wall outlet based, 5Ghz APs with low power and adjustable. i think maybe Ubiquiti has some ?

Why make the 5Ghz low?
Also with the Cisco it's not have the option to adjust the power?

Last time we had similar conversation @ChaoscripT mentioned he is renting. I don't know if this situation changed. Proper assessment and equipment choice can be done only on the spot. In theory I would go with wall plate style APs with Ethernet ports, low power 25-50mW (14-17 dBm) individually adjusted or controller assisted roaming depending on hardware choice, non-DFS lower 5GHz band, etc. This setup needs more than basic networking knowledge. Exchanging messages in a public forum won't help much.

I check another option, maybe in the near future I will go to my own property, but I prefer not to use the wall plates, I prefer to use a "regular" AP, just to be more "modular", if you make some hole in the wall for exact wall plate AP then you will want to replace to smaller or bigger one, you need to change the hole in the wall.
I can also just put more APs in the house and adjust the mW for more good roaming no?

I need 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, I have some IoT machines that needs 2.4Ghz connection.

If only the exterior walls/roof are reinforced concrete with only a couple reinforced concrete interior structural walls, the rest nonstructural walls with typical metal or wood framing, then low power 5Ghz can work. Where i used to work we built blast resistant buildings with interior wifi. Exterior roof and walls heavily reinforced concrete and interior was typical office build out walls. Windows, if any, and doors were designed for the blast load as well.
If the interior walls are also structural load bearing and reinforced concrete, then what you say is very likely going to be an issue. i would look for wall outlet based, 5Ghz APs with low power and adjustable. i think maybe Ubiquiti has some ?

Why make the 5Ghz low?
A solid concrete wall (or grout filled block) absorbs most of the RF signal, particularly at 2.4 GHz. and above. In addition, there are reflections from the wall . The power level of the transmitter at the AP will likely have to be reduced because of reflections if they cause confusion at the client receiver. The client will also have issues transmitting through the concrete walls. There is a tradeoff between AP transmitted power and reflections. If the signal cannot get out of the room, then there is no point running at high power on the AP and likely just creates issues. So reduce the power to just what is needed in the room. Using 5GHz only also makes that easier since walls more completely attenuate the signal. Since you say you need 2.4GHz as well, you will have to experiment with what works. If only the exterior walls and ceiling are reinforced concrete, then how you approach the RF layout will depend on the interior wall construction.

Also with the Cisco it's not have the option to adjust the power? Yes they do have.
Means, if I can control on the system in everywhere or just local?

Everywhere = WAN (Internet side) or LAN (from within your local network whether by wireless or wired) side of internet facing router ??

If only the exterior walls and ceiling are reinforced concrete, then how you approach the RF layout will depend on the interior wall construction.

Most of the houses here build with exterior walls and ceiling are reinforced concrete and inside the house in the rooms (the walls) it's blocks and concrete.
Only the bomb shelter room is build with 100% reinforced concrete also in the walls.

Everywhere = WAN (Internet side) or LAN (from within your local network whether by wireless or wired) side of internet facing router ??
WAN.

I check another option

Your best option is someone familiar with the specific environment coming to your place and recommending proper equipment for your needs.

Your best option is someone familiar with the specific environment coming to your place and recommending proper equipment for your needs.

To be honest, I prefer people on forums instead of someone here in Israel, why?
I will explain, most of the people that give some service (networking for example) works with some brand (Aruba for example) they will only recommends on this, got my point?
They have some interest to recommends only on his "products" and not other products that maybe will be better for my situation.

Regards

To be honest, I prefer people on forums

In this case get ready for a long trial and error process with associated time and money loss. None of the participants in this thread live in anything close to your environmental conditions, the questions you ask indicate you have little networking knowledge and your renting situation makes permanent wired installations impractical.

The router will be something like Deco X20/X50 or so

The whole idea of better quality SMB switching and APs connected to an "easy button" Deco router doesn't sound right. Deco already has built-in Wi-Fi you won't use and SMB gear after it will have features Deco doesn't support. Deco is a consumer product in "home mesh" category and perhaps will do what you need by itself in 3-pack version. Models X20/X50 are dual-band and the performance to satellite connected clients won't be great, but when it's time to move you can just pack it in a bag and take it with you to the new location. Your entire LAN side will be preconfigured and you'll only have to do the new WAN settings. The whole system will be back in service in under 10 minutes time with minimum networking knowledge requirements. You can't have low price, high performance and portability at the same time. You have to find the best fit balance somewhere in between. Nothing have changed since last time you asked the same questions. You ask the same questions - I provide the same answers.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!