What's new

Amped Wireless Shipping 2x2 MU-MIMO Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
Amped Wireless today announced the availability of its RTA1300M ARTEMIS High Power AC1300 Wi-Fi Router with MU-MIMO that was unveiled in January at CES 2016.
amped_artemis.jpg

When the ARTEMIS was announced in January, it had 3x3 2.4 GHz and 2x2 5 GHz radios. In this announcement, both radios are now 2x2. The AC1300 class rating comes from maximum link rates of 400 Mbps in 2.4 GHz (40 MHz bandwidth, QAM 256) and 867 Mbps in 5 GHz (802.11ac).

ARTEMIS is the first two stream MU-MIMO router. The rule of thumb for the number of devices that will produce maximum total throughput gain from MU-MIMO routers until now has been # of streams - 1, which would equal 1 device for the ARTEMIS. But since MU-MIMO requires at least two devices to show any total throughput gain, there must be some other magic sprinkled on Amped's latest router.

Other hardware features include all Gigabit Ethernet ports, quad-core CPU, 128 MB RAM and one USB 3.0 port for storage sharing.

The main attraction for the ARTEMIS is its $129.99 MSRP, making it the lowest priced MU-MIMO router. You can order it now directly from Amped Wireless or wait until it hits other retailers in a few weeks.

ARTEMIS is the first two stream MU-MIMO router. The rule of thumb for the number of devices that will produce maximum total throughput gain from MU-MIMO routers until now has been # of streams - 1, which would equal 1 device for the ARTEMIS. But since MU-MIMO requires at least two devices to show any total throughput gain, there must be some other magic sprinkled on Amped's latest router.

That is a curious configuration - there's some tricks to MU that might allow more than 1 client in a MU group (e.g. nothing in the spec says one cannot do that)... but one would still be limited to two single stream clients per MU frame... it's MU nominally, mostly for single stream clients.

Any idea whose chipset is in the device?

I think the chipset is either Mediatek or Realtek.

I think the chipset is either Mediatek or Realtek.

Cool - Broadcom really made the most of the 11ac Wave 1 - and it's looking more interesting as we are getting into the Wave 2 product rollout...

you sure about it...>? post the pics here of int photos since it wouln't load on mobile and I'm on holiday

you sure about it...>? post the pics here of int photos since it wouln't load on mobile and I'm on holiday

Yupp, it's the 4018 + the 8075 as a switch. It's odd they added an external switch, as the 40x8/40x9 is supposed to have a built in switch.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!