What's new

amtm amtm - the Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Some older Kingston DT 100 G2 USB 2.0 stick formatted to EXT2. I formatted it on computer with EaseUS Partition Manager.
Try formatting it using the tools in AMTM, under the main options list. Go into AMTM and run fd.

And this post,

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...erlin-terminal-menu.42415/page-26#post-464463
and one’s associated with it may well be worth a careful read. Please report back on how it goes. The AMTM format disk tool is new and we’d all like to know how it’s performing, especially the developers.
If Entware is installed, you will have the option to see what process or file is in use when formatting and the device cannot be unmounted.
This is coming in amtm v1.8

Proposal for default USB disk layout for those who do not know better
- EXT4 (EXT3 if not supported)
- Journaling on
- Entware partition /dev/sda1 and filesystem /tmp/mnt/ent is three times router RAM
- Samba partition /dev/sda2 and filesystem /tmp/mnt/smb is rest of USB drive
- Change defaults for filesystem check thresholds from 20 mounts and six months to 1 mount and 1 day (tune2fs -c 1 -i 1d /dev/sda1)
- Swap file 1:1 with router RAM

I speculate that this layout would substantially reduce problems that users are having with USB drives. Typical thumb drives are too large for a graceful reboot with file system check of a full drive Entware filesystem. I get the impression that a method to control the boot to accomodate the long check is not available to developers. And even if it was, the delay would not be acceptable to users. The first file system check does not happen until the twentieth mount. When it does, it is a bewildering mess that can be deferred for another twenty mounts but not permanently fixed. Changing the file system check to happen almost every time will alert you to the problem right away. But with the Entware file system sized so small, it will not be a problem.
Your suggestion:
- Entware partition /dev/sda1 and filesystem /tmp/mnt/ent is three times router RAM
May be good for newer routers with 250 MB or more memory. Older routers use less and the Entware partition could be too small for Entware and Diversion with all its files and logs. I recommend a minimum of 500MB for the partition or device Entware is installed on.

Would it not be a good idea to more or less automate that kind of proposal into a script run from AMTM?
The disk formatter fd in amtm only creates one partition on the device. I recommend keeping Samba shares and Entware/Scripts on separate devices.
Just my 2¢.

I had to format a drive today, so I used amtm. Everything worked as planned except the name I inputted to it, didn't get changed. So I renamed with tune2fs command. Other than that if you start with fat 32 the scripts works like a charm.;):)

Edit: Just saw that the name of the USB drive changed from "USB-Drive" to "sda1".
Bit confused now....does any of the scripts (amtm, Diversion, Skynet or Stubby) change the name of the USB drive?
None of these change the label of a device unless you use the formad disk option in amtm where you can set a device label.
Diversion (and with it Entware) do not rely on a device label.
It could be that you have conflicting entries in /jffs/scripts/post-mount.
Post the content of the file, you can show it in either Diversion with the sf option or use this command:
Code:
cat /jffs/scripts/post-mount

I had to format a drive today, so I used amtm. Everything worked as planned except the name I inputted to it, didn't get changed. So I renamed with tune2fs command. Other than that if you start with fat 32 the scripts works like a charm.;):)
Exact Name?

That should work without a hitch.
I know right? I tried it twice and I got the same result, after the router reboots, the disk mounts as /dev/sda1

I'm curious as to the rationale for separating them.
I would imagine that when using a Samba share you will have movies, music, what not on that device to share with other devices.
You don't want them corrupted or affected when the Entware device goes bad.

I would imagine that when using a Samba share you will have movies, music, what not on that device to share with other devices.
You don't want them corrupted or affected when the Entware device goes bad.
Plus it's sort of like sharing a system disk. :eek:

I know right? I tried it twice and I got the same result, after the router reboots, the disk mounts as /dev/sda1
Worked as expected here with the label "EXT2".

Does the fdl say anything to that effect? The format disk log is rewritten new every time you run it.

Does the fdl say anything to that effect? The format disk log is rewritten new every time you run it.
I cannot find that file, Where is it supposed to be?

In amtm, if the file is found the fdl menu entry is shown.

In amtm, if the file is found the fdl menu entry is shown.
My luck....file not found. I'm going to refresh amtm and setup another format, I'll get back to you with how it goes.:)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!