What's new

... and another FW update: Version 3.0.0.4.374.168

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I am so confused with all these firmware releases and the 5 GHz band is still broke on my EW-7733UnD. Might go back to .270 or .271.

They removed 272 I assume its because its been replaced with the 276 firmware. You got to download and save those older versions if you want to still ever revert back to them. 276 seemed to work well when I tried it but still like the Merlin build because of the extra features like wireless scanning and the radio temp. Good Luck !!

They removed 272 I assume its because its been replaced with the 276 firmware. You got to download and save those older versions if you want to still ever revert back to them. 276 seemed to work well when I tried it but still like the Merlin build because of the extra features like wireless scanning and the radio temp. Good Luck !!

Luckily, I am still running (unavailable) firmware versions .272 on my RT-N66U and version 1.0.1.8f on my EA-N66. I have a very fast and stable 5 GHz connection to the EA-N66 which is wired to my PS3 and a great 2.4 GHz wireless-N signal throughout the rest of my house. I am not going to mess with a new firmware update since I am currently getting great speed on both bands. No need for me to fix what's not broken! :D

.272 still shows up as .271. I just went back to .270 which is unavailable from Asus. Wish there was a way to post older firmwares on this site so they are available for everyone to download.

Does anyone know why .270 was taken off the Asus website?

It was not compatible with revision B2, so to avoid people flashing this firmware and bricking their router, they pulled it.

This version works with my 5GHz band. I'm using the intel 6235 card.
the previous 372 version would not even stay connected.

Confirm. I`m able to connect at 5Ghz to my RT-N66U with Intel Centrino 6205 (40 MHz channel bandwidth), but link rate is only 150-180 Mbps (router is less then 1m (~3 feets) from my laptop) and signal strength is poor

Last edited:
Confirm. I`m able to connect at 5Ghz to my RT-N66U with Intel Centrino 6205 (40 MHz channel bandwidth), but link rate is only 150-180 Mbps (router is less then 1m from my laptop) and signal strength is poor

try removing your wifi profile from the pc or failing that set the router to factory default

I tried this but no result :(

Just registered to add...

Same with me...Tried the factory reset and my 6300 connects to 5ghz/40mhz but only at 150Mbps 5ft. away from router.

Also, on this 168 FW when I enable Jumbo Frames it resets the router??? May go back to Merlin latest.

Something I don't understand with 5ghz. If I have both SSID the same it connects to 2.4ghz? This is my first 5ghz router so I don't know how they are supposed to work.

Just registered to add...

Same with me...Tried the factory reset and my 6300 connects to 5ghz/40mhz but only at 150Mbps 5ft. away from router.

Also, on this 168 FW when I enable Jumbo Frames it resets the router??? May go back to Merlin latest.

Something I don't understand with 5ghz. If I have both SSID the same it connects to 2.4ghz? This is my first 5ghz router so I don't know how they are supposed to work.

When having the same SSID, which band the client connects to depends on the client, not the router. Some wireless adapters let you chose which band to use in priority (my Centrino 6320 does). Personally I recommend using two different SSID so you can fully control on which band you are connecting at any time.

I upgraded from .271 and so far 5ghz is working good. I'm ~30 feet away on a different level in my home and it's working at 270-365mbps.

One question. On 2.4ghz it shows Max Rate as 216mbps on inSSIDer. Why isn't this 450mbps like the 5ghz?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to get the full 450mbps speed the wireless must be set to 40mhz width, at 20mhz the max speed is 216mbps

I have it set to 20/40 for both bands but only the 2.4ghz is at 216mbps. I'll try setting that to 40.

If you have any neighbors and you set the 2.4 Ghz band to 40 there going to hate you.. :eek:

I have it set to 20/40 for both bands but only the 2.4ghz is at 216mbps. I'll try setting that to 40.

40 MHz is very hard to achieve on the 2.4 GHz band due to interference, so your router is most likely downgrading to 20 MHz because of that.

Check with InSSIDer first to see if there is enough free channels for you to use 40 MHz. 40 MHz also tend to interfere with many cordless phones, and quite a few other things.

I set the 2.4ghz to 40mhz and now Max Rate is showing as 450mbps but my signal strength degraded a bit but no real negative impact. So far latest firmware is working good for me on both bands.

Thanks for your inputs.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!