What's new

Anecdotal Observations on CPU - 386.2 betas

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JR Godwin

Regular Contributor
I'm on an AX-86, 386.2b2....and one thing I noticed, even while on b1, was that it seemed like my cpu's were a lot more active in "idle" times than they were under previous FW versions. I've got the same suite of addons running that I've had under previous versions (although vnstat is relatively new to the stable).....but I can remember being logged into my landing page, with hardly any traffic on the LAN and the cpu graph would act accordingly, i.e. pretty much all of them stay under 10%.....now, I watch it during idle LAN times and it's like some kind of crazy spirograph (old reference).

Like I said....this is just anecdotal....but I'm wondering if some changes under the hood has upped the cpu activity in some way or another.

cpus.JPG

I haven't seen that behavior on an RT-AC86U (yes, I know, not same model) myself, all seems normal, and I think we would be seeing more reports if this was a widespread problem. Have you tried one (more?) full power off/on cycle just to make sure?
Obviously, the full (if somewhat extreme) solution is a factory reset and reconfigure from scratch.

I haven't seen that behavior on an RT-AC86U (yes, I know, not same model) myself, all seems normal, and I think we would be seeing more reports if this was a widespread problem. Have you tried one (more?) full power off/on cycle just to make sure?
Obviously, the full (if somewhat extreme) solution is a factory reset and reconfigure from scratch.
I did the full reset / reconfigure from scratch on the B1 variant....from b1 to b2 was just a dirty upgrade.

Regardless of the casual observation, the router seems to be running great, everything's doing what it's supposed to and well.

cpu2.JPG

As you can see, that was about the steady internet traffic load for that whole graph period but every single core spun up to 100 for periods of time, during that.

I think what I'll do this weekend is do another hard wipe reset and not install any scripts for a bit, see how it does, and start adding them back in one at a time and casually watch the cpu load and see if one of the scripts is a strong contender. I've got diversion and pixelserv running (but not blocking ads at the moment), skynet, x3m, vpnmgr, spdMerlin, scribe, uiscribe, uidiv, vnstat, and tempmon (although to be fair, I only added that tonight well after observing the cpu cycles).

I noticed that my ac86u was showing higher than normal CPU activity, and I traced it to the upnp service (ran "top" at the command line).

I traced it back to the NVIDIA game streaming service on my PC. It must have been smashing the upnp ports on the router for some reason. I don't actually use that feature, so just switched off the service on my PC.

I think I've resolved this. Digging through the forums I came across some high CPU usage if the cache was not enabled on uiDivStats. After enabling that, my "anecdotal" observations indicate a lot less usage....and, the cpu load averages on the Tools page went from high 4.X on all 3 averages down to the lower 2.X range.

Yes exactly my observation. Uninstallling of the stats for the web interface resolved this issue.