What's new

Release Asuswrt-Merlin 386.1 is now available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Normally I disconnect my router for 20 minutes so it erases the previous setup. You may 1st try to turn off/on the device 1st. If it doesn't register, turn off router for a few minutes.

I actually reset the router twice as well. Thinking if there was any type of conflict in same IP to two devices, with the static IP rule in place. After restart, that would be cleared. However not the case for me. I know this router message is new for me, and wasn't happening in the past. It actually logs this message "kernel: mac address not mesh client, can't update it's ip" often. This message does include the mac address of the device I want to put a static IP on often as well.

EDIT: Something for sure seems broken. As my clients list under network map just a moment ago showed 11 active devices, yet the DHCP Leases under system log, only showed three active devices with IP's. Which I know is not right, as I'm currently active on my PC, which is connected to the router. Yet it doesn't show under DHCP Leases as a device.

Last edited:
I actually reset the router twice as well. Thinking if there was any type of conflict in same IP to two devices, with the static IP rule in place. After restart, that would be cleared. However not the case for me. I know this router message is new for me, and wasn't happening in the past. It actually logs this message "kernel: mac address not mesh client, can't update it's ip" often. This message does include the mac address of the device I want to put a static IP on often as well.

EDIT: Something for sure seems broken. As my clients list under network map just a moment ago showed 11 active devices, yet the DHCP Leases under system log, only showed three active devices with IP's. Which I know is not right, as I'm currently active on my PC, which is connected to the router. Yet it doesn't show under DHCP Leases as a device.
If you can, try turning off your modem & router for 20 min. I normally go for a quick jog after turning off the modem & router. Once I get back, I turn everything on and my static IPs are setup correctly.

The clients determine when they ask for a lease or renewal. So the router won't refresh its lease table until all the client's have requested/renewed a lease individually. Restart a device, not the router.

Will do. But I can tell you something isn't right currently. I have used static IP's in the past, and never had an issue. Currently that's not the case, I can't get my console, and the router itself, to show the same proper static IP.
It will all usually sort itself within 24 hours (if that's your DHCP lease time). But if you've now gone and set a static IP on the device, it won't request or update DHCP anymore on the router. Make sure the DHCP reservation looks correct in /etc/dnsmasq.conf, and see what's in the current lease table under /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases.

It will all usually sort itself within 24 hours (if that's your DHCP lease time). But if you've now gone and set a static IP on the device, it won't request or update DHCP anymore on the router. Make sure the DHCP reservation looks correct in /etc/dnsmasq.conf, and see what's in the current lease table under /var/lib/misc/dnsmasq.leases.
I will dig into this more. Honestly I hope it clears itself up. I hadn't been using static IP's in a bit. Just messed with it today, and it was acting funny. It was the main reason I posted here, to see if maybe someone else noticed something similar. Overall just odd, and never noticed this happening before, when I added a static IP. If it keeps up, I will post again, if not, you know it cleared itself up. Which is my hope overall. As Merlin is damn good at what he does, don't want to bother him with anything.

This issue did happen between my PS5, and my AX88U. Which it's possible the newer PS5 is being tricky, so I will take it offline for a bit, and see if I can get it to clear up. Also thanks for clearing up the DHCP Leases thing, I was just use to it being filled with many devices. As I do have a good amount on my network, most of the time.

RT-AC68U in Repeater mode - upgraded from 384.19_0 to 386.1_2 - oddities
the upstream router is a Netgear R7800, which provides DHCP service
  • clients connected to RT-AC68U are invisible on RT-AC68U "view list" (both wireless and wired), but can be seen in NG-R7800's "attached devices"
  • clients connected to NG-R7800 are visible on RT-AC68U "view list"
  • clients get "guest" DHCP address, not their DHCP-registered IP address
  • connection from RT-AC68U to NG-R7800 on 5G decreased link rate from 1300 mbps before (384.19_0), to 866 mbps (386.1_2) ... Speedtest.net shows same performance anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!