What's new

Another help request for buying a new router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

geno888

Occasional Visitor
Hello everybody :)

Maybe someone remember me having issues with internet connection being very unstable with frequent disconnections. After a lot of troubles with my provider, it became clear that the cause of my frequent disconnections was a damaged modem.

Because I wasn't able to know if the router was damaged too, I decided to buy a new router too. Now I have a TP-Link TD-8616 as modem and a TL-R600VPN (hardware version 1) as router. I bought it on september 2012, and since then both modem and router are running 24/7 with very few stops when there was power outage for some hours.

Recently, I noticed some connections issues again. It happen quite often that some web sites are not accessible anymore. This is something that happened now and again, and usually it happened when for some reason I get a disconnection from my ISP, so I didn't pay much attention to this. Unplugging the ADSL cable and getting a different IP from my internet provider was the solution when this happened.

Recently, however, getting a different IP was not solving anymore these connection problems. Moreover, also the PC connected to the router was kicked off like when there is no ADSL signal.

This just scared me because I was thinking that another fight with the ISP was coming soon, but then I tried to reboot the router, and everything was working again.

Then, after another week of 24/7 running, again some web pages was not available anymore (I got a very annoying TIMEOUT error), and then again the PC was kicked off like when the ADSL cable is unplugged.

Another router reboot solved the issues again, but now I'm thinking that also this router is coming to the end of its life.

So here I am again, in the process of looking for another router. Can someone please help me to find one?

When I choose the TP-Link I thought that this "professional" router was more robust and it should be more durable in time, but having problems after only 2 years I think that this it is not really a "professional" piece of hardware...

Anyway, about the router I need, this is the list of features I'd like to get

1. Reliability. As I said, the router will be running 24/7 and I certainly would like to buy something lasting more than 2 years
  2. Ability to manage the highest number of concurrent connections as possible (yes, it is because of torrent)
  3. Wireless is not necessary at all (I never use it), but the possibility to connect in future an access point is certainly welcome, so I need a router compatible with external access points. Also any suggestions for a decent access point are welcome.
  4. Stability. Every time I get a disconnection or a router reboot, my ISP gives me a different IP, and this sometimes cause me problems. I need to stay connected as long as possible keeping the same IP.
  5. Price. My budget is not limitless, so I'd like to stay around 100 euros (about 130 USD). However, in the name of reliability, stability and ability to manage a high number of connections I can consider to spend more, just let me know what is the best and then I'll try to find the money.
  6. I have no brand preferences, but bear in mind that I live in Italy, and here not everything is available. Even buying from amazon.COM (instead of .IT) can be a problem because of shipping costs and exempt from customs duties payments that can cause a huge rise of total money I should pay to get the hardware.

Some further information.

Both modem and router are currently connected to an UPS (I don't know if this information is useful).

Most of times there are two PC connected to the router, both accessing to internet at the same time, but only one PC is running 24/7 whereas the other is running only when needed.

Sometimes I connect a printer with an Ethernet cable but it happens quite rarely (something like once a month for few minutes).

There is no need for me to share this printer on the network: I only connect it with an Ethernet cable when needed just because it is located far away from the PC and for what I know is pointless to use a 10 meters long USB cable.

I have no need to share any storage device on the network, so I don't really need an USB2 or USB3 port on the router.

I think I said pretty much everything, but if more information are needed, please let me know.

Any suggestion is welcome :)

Thanks in advance :)

That was quite the post. :) For starters, most consumer gear will exhibit similar failure characteristics over time (cheap chinese capacitors, rushed-to-market chipsets and low-level firmware, poor cooling designs, etc).

The first and cheapest way to tackle this is to run open-source firmware on commodity hardware and always have a hot spare ready. As long as the topology is flat(ish) and packet manipulation needs are low/moderate, then I like the $50 Netgear WNDR3500Lv2 with Tomato. Keep in mind, though, this route usually means little to no support.

For the best performance per dollar, you could do an edgerouter lite or a mikrotik box, but support is still on the lighter side (some would say non-existent) and be prepared for a daunting experience if you're not solid on your skills -- opportunity cost going down this route is often high for the average user.

Last would be business-class gear itself. You can find a bunch of good stuff in the $150-$300 range. Intermediate knowledge is helpful, but the higher price usually means better documentation and higher quality support. Stuff to look at: certain Cisco RV models. If multi-wan is a thought, then Peplink as well. UTM appliances might also fit the bill. ZyXel USGs come to mind in particular.

Hope some of that helps!

Hi, thanks for your answer :)

So basically it is not so unexpected that a consumer router just will last a couple of years then an user is forced to buy a new one.

I read something about edgerouter in the main page, and indeed my knowledge is not that good to configure it properly. So too bad I have to stay on the consumer side :(

Just to be sure not miss a good chance, I'll take a look to Cisco RV series (both prices and reviews here).

I'll take some time to read more posts in the forum too about Tomato firmwares.

Thanks again for your help :)

Hi geno - no problem. It seems like a more user-friendly business model would be a good choice. If you're looking at Cisco RV-series, then also look at Linksys LRT-series -- SNB did a review of them recently and they seemed to fair pretty well. For a similar price, I'd also look at the Zyxel USG20/40/50 (depending on WAN speed/ports required); I've deployed numerous 20s, all have great uptime, the hardware lasts and the support is good. Good luck!