What's new

Antenna upgrade for RT-AC68U ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cyan

Occasional Visitor
Is it worth getting antenna upgrade for AC68U ?
I'm trying to get more stability and higher speed.
Currently only manage to get 2mbps for client that is 15m away 1 story below.

Already discussed many time in the forum - a small search will give you a list of threads...

One thread I was commenting is here.

you would get better wifi if you upgrade the antennas, i put the antennas from the AC 3200 onto the AC68U and got better reception. They both have the same chips but the AC 3200 has more radios and better antennas.

stay with the factory antennas - they're matched for the radios...
But a lot of times aren't the antennas also selected by the manufacturers based on cost? Couldn't there have been other antennas that performed better, but were too costly to include as it would have put the product outside of the target price range?

But a lot of times aren't the antennas also selected by the manufacturers based on cost? Couldn't there have been other antennas that performed better, but were too costly to include as it would have put the product outside of the target price range?

Yes and no...

cost of an antenna that works well is fairly cheap... but most folks aren't EE's that can select a good antenna match...

Yes and no...

cost of an antenna that works well is fairly cheap... but most folks aren't EE's that can select a good antenna match...
Interesting, so it's just a matter of picking antenna design vs cost as the cost is basically the same for all the designs?

Interesting, so it's just a matter of picking antenna design vs cost as the cost is basically the same for all the designs?

For dipoles - it's pretty much the same for any of them from a cost perspective, but performance can be different - esp. at different gain values.

In the design process, the RF engineer is going to pick one, and do the match and optimize it as best as they can...

For dipoles - it's pretty much the same for any of them from a cost perspective, but performance can be different - esp. at different gain values.

In the design process, the RF engineer is going to pick one, and do the match and optimize it as best as they can...
Very insightful. Thank you!

5 years has passed and wondering if insights have changed, having these in mind:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZF7V3R3/?tag=snbforums-20
Those are probably fakes that look the part and work worse than what you have stock.

The only thing I have ever seen that has improved the ability for a router was something like this:

I had one of these inside a utility chase at a hotel and it took care of all the dead spots. I had to get an adapter cable to connect it to the router. The slightly longer stock antennas didn't really do much to help, but they also did boost a bit.

There have been no major changes in the laws of physics in the last 5 years.
Yes there is,
Rule 1: I am always right
Rule 2: In case I am wrong rule 1 applies.

Signal gain can be achieved by a signal amplifier, technical or transceiver signal space, in this case its 14,5cm vs. 19,5cm length (dual band and yes also with antenna's: size matters) where 3db gain is expected (if the default has 5db), the object here is also to prevent signal strength throttling by not attempting to go beyond 8db max (where firmware based signal strength throttling can help maintaining gain).

"There have been no major changes in the laws of physics"
Anyone who accepts law as is and does not challenge them is doomed to fail forever.

Yes there is,
Rule 1: I am always right
Rule 2: In case I am wrong rule 1 applies.

Signal gain can be achieved by a signal amplifier, technical or transceiver signal space, in this case its 14,5cm vs. 19,5cm length (dual band and yes also with antenna's: size matters) where 3db gain is expected (if the default has 5db), the object here is also to prevent signal strength throttling by not attempting to go beyond 8db max (where firmware based signal strength throttling can help maintaining gain).

"There have been no major changes in the laws of physics"
Anyone who accepts law as is and does not challenge them is doomed to fail forever.
Ahh, a millenial who thinks the law of gravity has shifted where they are now the center of the universe! :p

Laws can be challenged, except those of nature, physics, biology and other hard sciences. Actually, you can challenge them, but I'm sure that the chances of you succeeding are probably 10k of human evolution to none.

Laws can be challenged, except those of nature, physics, biology and other hard sciences. Actually, you can challenge them, but I'm
"Except..." here you are saying you can't challenge them? why not? because you say so? If that's the case you have already failed without even trying.

sure that the chances of you succeeding are probably 10k of human evolution to none.
A failure to try = a failure to succeed, humanity never achieved anything by not trying or/and challenging.

Done, ordered, should be in next week and will report back, in the mean time I'll keep track of all signal levels for comparing.
Time for some results,
Code:
RT-AC68U
Current situation, original antenna's, 5dBi
Length: Approx. 14.5cm
         Avg  Wurst Best
Object 1 -72 (-74 / -66) 2g (20 meters)
Object 2 -52 (-55 / -50) 2g (3 meters)
Object 3 -65 (-67 / -64) 5g (5 meters)
Measured 4x a day over 2 weeks.

New situation, new antenna's, 8dBi
Length: Approx. 19.5cm
         Avg  Wurst Best
Object 1 -70 (-70 / -68) 2g (20 meters)
Object 2 -50 (-52 / -50) 2g (3 meters)
Object 3 -65 (-70 / -65) 5g (5 meters)
Measured 4x a day over 2 days.

Not as spectacular as hoped but not bad either.

In 2 weeks time I'll adjust above values to validate the overall values with the original antenna's.

The issue is also the same for the client’s transmitted power. May be more difficult to upgrade those antenna. If they were weaker than the original ( or the replacements for that matter) on the AP to begin with, then no net gain.