What's new

Antenna upgrade/new router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm going with DIR-850L. The reviews are fairly positive.

The black-hat security folks prefer D-Link due to their various security issues with their firmware... folks that take security seriously put the those devices on their blacklist (devices to avoid)...

That's quite unfortunate. There is no aftermarket firmware for 850l either.
Thank you sfx2000 for the insight.

Going with the Archer C2 then. Half the price. I don't really mind 1:1 AC.

Best wishes.
D-Link is on the bottom of my and others' list. Irregular product stability from one model to the next.

see also post #22 here.

The antenna you mention isn't going to help much, as it's matched for 2.4GHz, and 5GHz could actually suffer as a result - as SteveCH mentioned above, bigger antennas have limited benefit as it doesn't change the client side at all...

Actually, if a new antenna does have more gain, that gain will improve both the router's transmitted and received (client side) signals, that's just the way that antennas work.

I've never had much luck buying "higher gain" antennas, though. They never seem to work as you would expect from the gain quoted in the ads. So I don't bother with that any more. You're better off adding an access point to increase your coverage in a weak area.

Actually, if a new antenna does have more gain, that gain will improve both the router's transmitted and received (client side) signals, that's just the way that antennas work.
Indeed, yes. But these antennas' 3-6 dBi of improvement usually isn't enough.

Indeed, yes. But these antennas' 3-6 dBi of improvement usually isn't enough.

If you actually see that much gain...I haven't seen any gain from these antennas over the ones that come with the routers that I have. Bad luck, maybe, but the ones that are on the routers when you buy them are apparently tuned to work well with the router.