What's new

Any clear instructions for setting up an AP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Michael Clifford

Occasional Visitor
I have an RT-AC68U as the main router, on the third floor. Reception on the first floor is spotty and I therefore wish to retask an N66, most likely in an AP role. There is a cat 5-E wired connection and/or Powerline adapters are working, so a wired backhaul can be used.

Most of the directions on the internet still leave me a bit puzzled about the settings on both units (matching or disparate SIDS, LAN or WAN connections, gateway and other IP connections). Can anybody suggest directions that are remarkably clear? Thanks in advance.

mjclifford

You can use same SSIDs on both (and 2/5G too). Much easier on client side only setup one SSID/PW for all connections at home.
If far enough away you can even use same channel, otherwise better different.
Always use wired backhaul if possible, from parent LAN to node WAN-port.
For node use AP-mode, for main router depending what you need, router or AP-mode.

Here's an update that my benefit other newbies. I was able to set up the N66 to function as an AP. The same SSIDs were used with different channels.

The ethernet cable was strung down from the main router on the third floor down to the first floor at the back of the house. However, due to metal girders and other construction obstacles, Powerline units were used to connect from there to the N66 at front of the house on the lower level. Speed trials were then conducted.

I usually get 90 to 125 Mbs wired and 60 or so over wi-fi on the third floor. Bottom line was that wi-fi was nearly the same if an AP was or was not used. Different power outlets were tried, with nearly the same results. Things might be different if the backhaul was entirely wired Ethernet, but stringing cable across the bottom floor is just too difficult for now.

It was a good exercise. Thanks for the help.

mjclifford

This could be something to consider for harder to reach places without laying Lan cable for good wired backhaul.

I have AP on the second floor. Main router is sitting on the ground floor. Without setting lan cable between the floors, I bought a pair of bonded MOCA 2.0 (Ethernet - Coax Adapter) from Actiontec via Amazon - linked them through existing coaxial points that were already running within the house.

The outcome is perfect. MOCA adapters are not as hot as Powerline plugs buy yet very reliable. The realworld throughput is really higher than Powerline units.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!