What's new

Any Plan to Implement VLAN /Multiple SSID ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mazzy

New Around Here
Any plan to implement VLAN and Multiple SSID or at least 2 , regular and guest anytime soon ?
In may opinion can be very useful, but looks like ignored.
Manage and Isolate SSID, tagging each with a different VLAN looks for me more useful than some DNS filter, the cpu on the AX router are more that up to the job, so what is the deal ?
I've my AX86U in AP mode up since April of last year with no reboot, would be perfect if I can have 2 SSID per every channel (2.4/5GHz) everyone tagged on a different VLAN., what is holding it back ?

regards,

You should contact Asus directly for these feature requests. Nobody here can convey your wishes to them as well as you can.

Zyxel offers all of that. I'm running a NWA210AX which can be picked up for $160 on Amazon and it's a 4x4 radio configuration with up to 8 SSID's per band; With up to 4094 VL's to choose from.

would be perfect if I can have 2 SSID per every channel (2.4/5GHz) everyone tagged on a different VLAN., what is holding it back ?

AIO consumer router designed to work as single AP. No VLAN's needed in this configuration. What you want is available in business class AP's.

AIO consumer router designed to work as single AP. No VLAN's needed in this configuration. What you want is available in business class AP's.
Of course, But also 10Gb, DNS filter, VPN server etc are business class feature not consumer but still are developed and the latest prices of Asus router is skyrocketing well into business class/enterprise territory, latest release are $600+.... VLAN should expect at that level, or you are paying that sum for what ? a dumb switch, radio on 6GHz no product can connect, flash lightand getting same performance of router 1/3 of price ?
A lot of cheaper stuff linux-based have VLANS, multiple SSID and Asus don't have business class network gear , so no business to protect...

@mazzy

If you already have a plan of what you need then why would you buy consumer gear? If you can get it at Best Buy it's probably not going to get you where you need to be.

There are plenty of options to get you there for the same $600 if that's your price point. Managing such a setup could be simple if you pay up for it or a little less simple managing each piece through different GUI / SSH sessions.

Everything under the flashy exterior runs off a linux kernel when it comes to networking. With that knowledge you can make it do whatever you want within reason by using the CLI to make the changes you need. The Zyxel gear is kind of an in between of true business gear and consumer gear in offering the features w/o the hefty price tag. It's not glammed up like Ubiquity or as sleazy as run of the mill off the shelf options.

Get away from the mass marketed crap and you'll be able to design something more tuned to what you NEED.

latest prices of Asus router is skyrocketing well into business class/enterprise territory, latest release are $600+...

Not really. Check the price of high-end business access points and entry-level x86 firewalls.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!