What's new

Any reason to pick RT-AX82U over DSL-AX82U if the latter is cheaper?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Qbcd

Regular Contributor
So I wanted to pick up an RT-AX82U to be a node in my AiMesh. They can be had for pretty cheap these days and have a 4x4 5GHz ax band, plus it seems to be a reliable router all around, of course all I will be using it for is an AiMesh node with wireless backhaul.

So I sent an offer to an Ebay seller who had a DSL-AX82U - which appears to be the exact same router as the RT-AX82U but with a built-in DSL modem (that doesn't need to be used of course). My offer was pretty low so I didn't expect him to accept, but he did, so now I'm getting this DSL-AX82U to use as my AiMesh node.

But I am still bidding on some RT-AX82U and debating whether I should get a "proper" AX82U and flip the DSL model.

My question is, is there any reason to do that? Is there any reason not to get/use the DSL model over the RT model? It seems to be identical to the RT model, but just with a built-in DSL modem. Will it make any difference in performance or anything else? Will it enhance or detract from resale value?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

So I wanted to pick up an RT-AX82U to be a node in my AiMesh. They can be had for pretty cheap these days and have a 4x4 5GHz ax band, plus it seems to be a reliable router all around, of course all I will be using it for is an AiMesh node with wireless backhaul.

So I sent an offer to an Ebay seller who had a DSL-AX82U - which appears to be the exact same router as the RT-AX82U but with a built-in DSL modem (that doesn't need to be used of course). My offer was pretty low so I didn't expect him to accept, but he did, so now I'm getting this DSL-AX82U to use as my AiMesh node.

But I am still bidding on some RT-AX82U and debating whether I should get a "proper" AX82U and flip the DSL model.

My question is, is there any reason to do that? Is there any reason not to get/use the DSL model over the RT model? It seems to be identical to the RT model, but just with a built-in DSL modem. Will it make any difference in performance or anything else? Will it enhance or detract from resale value?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Get what you need.

DSL sucks. Firmware, updates, and EOL will not be at the popular end of the spectrum. And then there is the whole buying someone else's worn junk on eBay thing.

OE

So far as I'm aware there are no issues with the DSL-AX82u, but at least here in the UK there have been some issues regards it's modem capabilities up to VDSL2 profile 35B - which no one in the UK uses! As a result of its unpopularity, the DSL variant has often been cheaper at retail than the RT variant!

So far as I'm aware there are no issues with the DSL-AX82u, but at least here in the UK there have been some issues regards it's modem capabilities up to VDSL2 profile 35B - which no one in the UK uses! As a result of its unpopularity, the DSL variant has often been cheaper at retail than the RT variant!
Interesting, you would think it would cost at least the same since even if the DSL is buggy, it's still at least as good as the RT one that doesn't have DSL at all.

But I won't be using the DSL modem at all, so then it should basically behave identical to the RT version as an AiMesh node, correct?

Curious what did you mean by "up to VDSL2 profile 35B" - did you mean just that profile or "up to" meaning all the lower profiles as well?

I've just cancelled the DSL model order and got an RT one for a few bucks more, just to remove any unknown variables.

But I've just learned that there is a new V2 of this router, I'm not sure which one I bought. Can anyone tell me the what the difference is between V1 and V2? I can't find anything online.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Asus in the uk don't even mention a V2, not even in their firmware section - so likely just the same hardware.

plus it seems to be a reliable router all around

A new one with warranty - probably. Cheaper than usual on eBay - may have issues.

VDSL2 profile 35B is touted as upto 300/100Mbps, and I think in some literature was mistakenly listed as G.Fast at one point - which it isn't.