What's new

Wired connections take a minute to connect to the internet (ASUS RT-AX82U AX5400)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

KappaMarvin

New Around Here
Just setup my AX82U router as well as my new modem yesterday, everything works great and looks great on wifi but with my wired connection something is off.

Before this was never an issue on my old nighthawk router but I have noticed that when I turn my PC on (happens on my brothers PS5 as well) we have no internet connection until about a minute later. We’re both using a wired ethernet connection.

I have not noticed any drops and to get into specifics the modem in question is the ARRIS - SURFboard SB6190 and my speeds are 800+ download and 25 upload (Xfinity). I am using the cat5e cable that came with the router to connect between it and the modem.

When I installed the router it prompted me with a firmware update but it was already up to date.

Is there anything I can do? I doubt this is any sort of a hardware issue right?

Welcome to the forums @KappaMarvin.

Does the issue persist when you Restart the PC? Shutdown and Restart are not the same.

Look for error messages in the router's System Log - General Log when you turn on your wired devices.

Welcome to the forums @KappaMarvin.

Does the issue persist when you Restart the PC? Shutdown and Restart are not the same.
Hello! and yes the issue is persistent whether I restart the PC. This was never an issue before with my previous router so thats why I am questioning it this is normal or not.

Look for error messages in the router's System Log - General Log when you turn on your wired devices.
This is all I see in the general log when I boot my PC up, is there anything else I should be seeing and or looking at?

Attachments

• router2.png
    router2.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 20
upon further investigation It has come to my attention that it is everything not just the wired connection, every device takes a couple seconds for internet connectivity to kick in. I am not used to this since before everything was rather instant, is this normal with routers? my previous one was 8+ years old.

Couple of seconds is normal. A minute indicates some issue.

in my case it is followed by several roamast messages.
You probably need to post the entire unedited syslog for us to look at for us to stand any chance of seeing what the problem might be. Either attach it as a text file or post it somewhere like pastebin.com and provide a link.

several roamast messages

On a single router you can disable Roaming Assistant, your devices have nowhere to roam.

This sudden connection delay issue is somewhere around your LAN IP, DHCP, DNS settings.

You probably need to post the entire unedited syslog for us to look at for us to stand any chance of seeing what the problem might be. Either attach it as a text file or post it somewhere like pastebin.com and provide a link
Here's the link

There might be something showing that there was a factory reset sometime this morning, that was my brother and I doing that. I'm sorry that im not very smart when it comes to these type of things so if theres anything I did wrong and or missing please let me know.

Thanks for the file @KappaMarvin. Unfortunately it looks like Asus have chosen to suppress the dnsmasq messages so there's very little useful information in that file. So we're left guessing in the dark.

As the comment above suggested, you might as well turn off Roaming assistant in the Wireless - Professional settings for each band. That may help some wireless clients but won't solve your wired client problem.

Have you made any changes to the router's default settings since you did the factory reset? Likewise, have you made any custom network changes on your PC and PS5?

Thanks for the file @KappaMarvin. Unfortunately it looks like Asus have chosen to suppress the dnsmasq messages so there's very little useful information in that file. So we're left guessing in the dark.

As the comment above suggested, you might as well turn off Roaming assistant in the Wireless - Professional settings for each band. That may help some wireless clients but won't solve your wired client problem.

Have you made any changes to the router's default settings since you did the factory reset? Likewise, have you made any custom network changes on your PC and PS5?
The only thing I have done is give highest priority under the Bandwith Monitor menu to the PS5 and PC respectively, QOS is not enabled however. Other than that there has been nothing i've changed and same goes for the devices themselves, so no custom network changes here.

Hello everyone, I managed to figure out the solution to my issues which was to disable STP by using the following.

nvram set lan_stp=0
nvram commit
nvram set lan1_stp=0
nvram commit

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!