What's new

Any solution to AiMesh - USB/NAS connection to node?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TimoBlurt

Occasional Visitor
Hello!

I use two XT8 routers in mesh, they both work great and i'm very happy with the performance. However as my fiber converter is in living room, and main is there too. I can't have my NAS there beeping and blurring, disturbing us. So I decided I NEED to connect the NAS to my garage node, where the second XT8 router is located.

*I have "Great" backhaul connection.
*I can detect the NAS through computer.
*NAS is detected in asus webgui, only if you go AiMesh > Choose Node > Management > USB Application (otherwise not detected in homepage/network map).
*NAS is not accessible even thought typing the right username and password.
*I have Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.386_25790

This is frustating tbh, paid premium and expect premium features. Is there any competitor brand that offer what I seek?

Regards

Last edited:
*I can detect the NAS through computer.
*NAS is not accessible even thought typing the right username and password.
Do you mean that:
- the computer can "see" the NAS as the local network location
- you can click on it and login window appears,
- you enter your username and password,
- but you won't get access?
Is this correct?

Do you mean that:
- the computer can "see" the NAS as the local network location
- you can click on it and login window appears,
- you enter your username and password,
- but you won't get access?
Is this correct?

Yes correct!

After a while I tried out using admin/admin as login and I was successfully logged in.
So my new problem is that I need to change the admin/admin login to a new one, but I haven't found solution of how to change username and password yet. Right now my NAS is vulnerable to all visitors that can easily guess username and password and get access to my familys photos etc... :(

Yes correct!

After a while I tried out using admin/admin as login and I was successfully logged in.
So my new problem is that I need to change the admin/admin login to a new one, but I haven't found solution of how to change username and password yet. Right now my NAS is vulnerable to all visitors that can easily guess username and password and get access to my familys photos etc... :(

OK, I used to have a similar problem, too. Here are some solutions that you can try - from the easiest to the most complicated one:

1) Instead of clicking on the NAS network location, enter the IP address of the node into the Windows Explorer address bar - it should be something like:
\\192.168.xx.xx
Sometimes this does the trick. Then you can map the location as a disk and you have all the functionalities you need.

2) Do you really need the AiMesh setup? If you configure your node as an Access Point (AP), you should be able to log in to the NAS with your router credentials without any problems. Here is an interesting debate of pros and cons of AiMesh vs. AP: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/u...al-ap-mode-if-wired-backhaul-available.61772/ I tried both setups and for USB storage management APs worked definitely better.

3) Try to access the NAS from another PC or from the Asus AiCloud mobile app. This actually maybe some configuration issue on your PC side. At some point I was able to easily access my USB shared drive from my work laptop, but not from the home one. After reinstalling Windows on the home laptop the problem was gone.

Hope this helps!

Looking through the specs for the XT8 I see that it has 1 WAN port and 3 LAN ports. The NAS should be connected to one of the LAN ports in the node even if you do not use Ethernet backhaul. You should also check the Workgroup name assigned to the NAS and make sure it matches your Windows PC's. Might be a good idea to let the NAS get an IP address from DHCP as it is possible there is an IP conflict. Might also be a good idea to bring the node into the living room, remove it from the mesh then add it again. Then plug the NAS in and get it working before moving it back to the garage. I have a up to 20 clients running off of an AC68U AiMesh 2.0 node with ethernet backhaul with no issues! Sounds crazy but running IPV6 might help.

Looking through the specs for the XT8 I see that it has 1 WAN port and 3 LAN ports. The NAS should be connected to one of the LAN ports in the node even if you do not use Ethernet backhaul. You should also check the Workgroup name assigned to the NAS and make sure it matches your Windows PC's. Might be a good idea to let the NAS get an IP address from DHCP as it is possible there is an IP conflict. Might also be a good idea to bring the node into the living room, remove it from the mesh then add it again. Then plug the NAS in and get it working before moving it back to the garage. I have a up to 20 clients running off of an AC68U AiMesh 2.0 node with ethernet backhaul with no issues! Sounds crazy but running IPV6 might help.

It's a USB HDD.

OE

I came home with a new Synology DS220j and Seagate Wolf NAS disk, had no problem setting it up with the node in the garage. So this was basically no brainer because I tried using an old (10+ years old) USB HDD as NAS.

I came home with a new Synology DS220j and Seagate Wolf NAS disk, had no problem setting it up with the node in the garage. So this was basically no brainer because I tried using an old (10+ years old) USB HDD as NAS.

Who says money can't buy happiness?! :)

OE