What's new

Any way to get 5ghz channels 149+ on UK bought Asus routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

psychopomp1

Since channels 149-165 on the 5ghz band are now legal in UK by OFCOM (since 2020 AFAIK), is there any way you can unlock these channels on any Asus router? Its clear Asus couldn't give 2 hoots about UK users, and whilst Netgear isn't much better but at least they allow you to access channels 149+ in UK by simply changing region settings (eg to USA). Surely there must be a way to at least change region settings on any Asus router?

If you're talking about current Asus routers running current Asus (or Merlin) firmware then the answer is "no". The exception being Chinese models that are grey imports which do allow a limited amount of region selection (but not specifically the UK AFAIK).

BTW Any discussions regarding methods that attempt to bypass a router's built-in region restrictions are against this forums rules and such threads will be deleted.

Last edited:
But why are Asus are not recognizing that UK market models should suppport the higher channels at 5ghz? My guess is its too much work for them to separate UK models from Europe/EU models, ie they're being lazy.

Maybe Merlin would like to introduce a region change feature on his custom firmware, with the disclaimer that it should NOT be misused? Probably wishful thinking though!

Have you tried contacting Asus?
I did indeed and I might as well not have bothered. Asus support basically told me that their UK purchased routers comply with local wifi regulations, which is a load of rubbish. In other words Asus support aren't aware that ch 149-165 are now legal in UK. Probably down to poor staff training.

@RMerlin
Could you please consider giving UK users access to 5ghz channels 149-165 on your custom firmware? Because I can't see Asus officially supporting these channels anytime soon for UK users. Otherwise could you at least make someone at Asus aware of this?
Cheers

Last edited:
I did indeed and I might as well not have bothered. Asus support basically told me that their UK purchased routers comply with local wifi regulations, which is a load of rubbish. In other words Asus support aren't aware that ch 149-165 are now legal in UK. Probably down to poor staff training.

@RMerlin
Could you please consider giving UK users access to 5ghz channels 149-165 on your custom firmware? Because I can't see Asus officially supporting these channels anytime soon for UK users.
Cheers
Have you tried directing them to the relevant material that OFCOM provide?

But why are Asus are not recognizing that UK market models should suppport the higher channels at 5ghz? My guess is its too much work for them to separate UK models from Europe/EU models, ie they're being lazy.
Probably. It should be doable provided there's support for GB in the Broadcom module.

Maybe Merlin would like to introduce a region change feature on his custom firmware, with the disclaimer that it should NOT be misused? Probably wishful thinking though!
Never going to happen. The whole reason the FCC clamped down on region changing was precisely because end users can't be trusted and they were abusing the option. That almost ended all third party firmware projects. Merlin has a trusted relationship with Asus whereby they allow his firmware to be installed on their routers, but only because he doesn't violate their legal obligations regarding WiFi restrictions.

The whole reason the FCC clamped down on region changing was precisely because end users can't be trusted and they were abusing the option.
Is region changing only illegal on USA purchased routers? In which case Asus could allow region changing on non-USA purchased routers just like Netgear do. Probably wishful thinking again but perhaps Merlin could create a separate firmware fork for non USA routers which could include features such as region change - that way he wouldn’t be breaking any FCC laws. I’d be happy to donate to such a project :)

Is region changing only illegal on USA purchased routers? In which case Asus could allow region changing on non-USA purchased routers just like Netgear do. Probably wishful thinking again but perhaps Merlin could create a separate firmware fork for non USA routers which could include features such as region change - that way he wouldn’t be breaking any FCC laws. I’d be happy to donate to such a project :)
RMerlin has made clear that he's not prepared to change anything related to WiFi in the firmware. It would effectively end this project if he did.

Could you please consider giving UK users access to 5ghz channels 149-165 on your custom firmware?
Wifi is closed source and outside of my control.

But why are Asus are not recognizing that UK market models should suppport the higher channels at 5ghz?
Could be because it would require them to resubmit all their routers for re-certification, as these kind of radio-related changes are bound by certifications. Which can be lengthy and expensive. Or it could be a supply/logistic issue as it would require them to manuacture, distribute and manage inventories for a different SKU specific to the UK model.

Wifi is closed source and outside of my control.

Could be because it would require them to resubmit all their routers for re-certification, as these kind of radio-related changes are bound by certifications. Which can be lengthy and expensive. Or it could be a supply/logistic issue as it would require them to manuacture, distribute and manage inventories for a different SKU specific to the UK model.
AHH yeah. Never though of it like that. Suppose they'd have to do all and it's probably not worth the hassle for them!

Little off topic....

Merlin. What's your thoughts on the AX86S? Worthy upgrade on the AC86U for £139?

Merlin. What's your thoughts on the AX86S? Worthy upgrade on the AC86U for £139?
If the price is right, yes. Double check the price difference with the RT-AX86U, it might be small enough to be worth it for the extra 2.5 Gbps port.

Already told you that at that price difference, it is worth buying. :D

Some routers have it. This is my AX86U bought from Amazon Australia in March 2021. It came with Australian electricals in the box.
This setting is on the Wireless / Professional page for both 5GHz and 2.4GHz. Apart from the Default, there is no recommendation on what setting to use.
I don't know what "Region GD" means.

Screenshot 2022-04-10 074252.jpg