What's new

Any way to get 5ghz channels 149+ on UK bought Asus routers?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

In the EU the Channels 149-165 are only allowed by "Short-Range-Devices" like keys for the car or garage door opener.
So its forbidden to use it with phones/pc, but if you have a smart watch (GPS) it would be allowed if im right, so maybe its possible (nonpublic firmware for devs) ?

In the EU the Channels 149-165 are only allowed by "Short-Range-Devices" like keys for the car or garage door opener.
So its forbidden to use it with phones/pc, but if you have a smart watch (GPS) it would be allowed if im right, so maybe its possible (nonpublic firmware for devs) ?
Sorry, what's your point. Did you read through this thread?

Sorry, what's your point. Did you read through this thread?
Sorry for replying to a 3-month old thread, but I think the reality is that router manufacturers usually follow EU rules for products sold in the UK. It's not worth it for them to create a separate SKU for Britain, plus the vast majority of the time Ofcom follows EU rules even after Brexit. You saw in the screenshot that was posted that the UK wasn't even an option in the drop-down menu. So I seriously doubt those channels will be opened up in the UK by any mainstream manufacturer, until they are legal in the EU.

DW it will come, Boris said today that the UK's future is golden.

Trust in Boris.

I mean you can't fault his track record, right ?

Is region changing only illegal on USA purchased routers? In which case Asus could allow region changing on non-USA purchased routers just like Netgear do. Probably wishful thinking again but perhaps Merlin could create a separate firmware fork for non USA routers which could include features such as region change - that way he wouldn’t be breaking any FCC laws. I’d be happy to donate to such a project :)

It is illegal to broadcast anything on a frequency you are not explicitly allowed to.
By facilitating changing the region and allowing users to use radio frequencies not permitted under certain regulations, any manufacturer opens themselves for a lawsuit, fines and exclusion from the market.

This is not going to happen.

I did indeed and I might as well not have bothered. Asus support basically told me that their UK purchased routers comply with local wifi regulations, which is a load of rubbish. In other words Asus support aren't aware that ch 149-165 are now legal in UK. Probably down to poor staff training.

It is not rubbish. The routers don't violate the channel restrictions in the UK, so they still comply with the regulations. They are a bit more restrictive - but that's not a violation! Nobody has an obligation to use EVERYTHING that is allowed.

Sorry for replying to a 3-month old thread, but I think the reality is that router manufacturers usually follow EU rules for products sold in the UK. It's not worth it for them to create a separate SKU for Britain, plus the vast majority of the time Ofcom follows EU rules even after Brexit. You saw in the screenshot that was posted that the UK wasn't even an option in the drop-down menu. So I seriously doubt those channels will be opened up in the UK by any mainstream manufacturer, until they are legal in the EU.

I realize I'm being pedantic here: manufacturers do create separate SKU. Products intended on GB or IRE market have different power plugs than those going to the majority continental Europe. But the rest remains the same.

Technicaly the Netgear which I bought in the middle east lets me select channels 149-161, but the Asus is just locked to channels 36-48 and DFS channels upto 112.

So it's the issue with Asus routers.

I don't know if in Middle east channels 149-161 are locked. Can anyone confirm it?

Is region changing only illegal on USA purchased routers? In which case Asus could allow region changing on non-USA purchased routers just like Netgear do. Probably wishful thinking again but perhaps Merlin could create a separate firmware fork for non USA routers which could include features such as region change - that way he wouldn’t be breaking any FCC laws. I’d be happy to donate to such a project :)

Pretty sure custom router firmware in general is illegal in the USA lol.

Pretty sure custom router firmware in general is illegal in the USA lol.
The FCC only requires that devices lock down channels and prevents region changes for devices sold in the US.

Technicaly the Netgear which I bought in the middle east lets me select channels 149-161, but the Asus is just locked to channels 36-48 and DFS channels upto 112.

I don't know if in Middle east channels 149-161 are locked. Can anyone confirm it?

It's older equipment and having to resubmit for certification.

Ofcom's approach has been more friendly towards spectrum expansion...

In Welsh...

So if in the UK - time to think about HW upgrades

They are locked where I live now which is Saudi Arabia. Generally the gulf countries follow European regulations when it comes to similar matters.

Most of my equipment covers the higher channels, sadly, my Asus routers do not. Lots of interference and congestion around here.

From reading the ofcom articles some time ago, it's not 'short range', but separated into indoor and outdoor, the outdoor frequencies being more restrictive.

I do wish Asus would give back the option to choose country, and simply update frequency range/power through software. What an end user uses a tool for isn't the manufacturers responsibility.

Had it not been for Merlin I'd have probably ditched Asus for something else by now - as congestion gets more dense I probably will. Where to though?

I wouldnt hold your breath the last time i checked asus region coded all UK routers (wih UK plugs) to DE (Germany)
anyone would think we where the ones that lost wwII:)

I wouldnt hold your breath the last time i checked asus region coded all UK routers (wih UK plugs) to DE (Germany)
anyone would think we where the ones that lost wwII:)
M5NbXnT.gif