What's new

Any way to limit time on social media on my child's Mac?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

d0g

Occasional Visitor
I'm trying to find something that will allow me to set a rule which will block my son from accessing certain websites (on his Mac) for more than 1 hour per day.
There are plenty of solution for setting a schedule, say, only 4pm-5pm, including the Asus built in Parent control. No good.

With macOS Screen Time you can set a limit for a particular site, like, 1 hr for discord.com -- but I want to set 1 hr for a group of websites (which he will divide up as he likes.)
And Screen Time only works on Safari. Not Chrome (yet), which he has to use for his school work videoconferencing.

Does anyone have any idea how to accomplish this?

Is there some firewall/blocking package that allows "x hours per day" for a set of destinations?

Thanks

nextdns is your friend. look at it. I use it. and I'm doing perfectly fine. you can also make several profiles with different configurations and apply it to merlin in lan / dnsfllter. I feel my English

With nextdns you can configure so that for example from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. you can visit social networks the rest of the time it will be blocked.

but nextdns along with parental control. you can use it complementing. If you have a connection from 10am to 10pm in parental control within those hours, you can limit social networks with nextdns. However. if what you want is a quota plan. then what you are looking for is something similar to the Google family.

Yeah, I've been using NextDNS for a few months (paid) and their Parental Controls do not cut it. Very limited.
And Google Family does not work on Mac at all.