What's new

Any way to overclock new RT-AC68U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I apologize for digging up this Post.
When i do those commands also my router got really slow lol I guess blocks also to 100Mhz... But in the Web Browser shows 1200Mhz lol... The only fix to make it work normal again is SSH again and instead of 1200/800 change for the original values (1000 / 666).

My RT-AC68U data:
F/W Ver.: 3.0.0.4.380
H/W Ver.: E1

Any change of sucefull Overclock? For VPN performance and also ISP speed's, 1GB connecting getting around "only" 900 Mb.. And i'm sure is because if the CPU, while speedtest 2 cores at 100%.

Thanks
Your router should already be running at 1000 MHz so overclocking would provide little benefit. If you're seeing the CPU loaded when running a speed test then your hardware acceleration isn't enabled. So you need to fix that rather than trying to overclock anything.

Your router should already be running at 1000 MHz so overclocking would provide little benefit. If you're seeing the CPU loaded when running a speed test then your hardware acceleration isn't enabled. So you need to fix that rather than trying to overclock anything.
Thank you for the Answer. Yes it's the default, 1000Mhz / 666 memory.. when i do speedtest, the CPU from the Router is at almost 100% both cores. So i'm assuming i'm not getting the full speed from my ISP because of the router/cpu... Doing from the WebBrowser got those result's on the picture. While doing under windows app from Microsft Store, i can get more dowload 900Mb around. Both cases, the cores are at 100%. That's why i was looking to OC the CPU, that's the cheap way to do it. I will buy a new Router, but if i can save some money is perfect. So, you said also about HW acc? That's on the router right? Need to check that latter after work.

Attachments

• ddd.jpg
    ddd.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 154
Your NAT acceleration is enabled. Otherwise you won't see above ~250Mbps WAN-LAN throughput. This router can do full Gigabit (~940Mbps) consistently only when TrendMicro components are disabled. You don't need to overclock anything. If you want AiProtection, Parental Controls, Apps Analyzer, etc. TrendMicro engine related functions at close to Gigabit speeds - a new router with ARMv8 1.8GHz cores.

What firmware are you using? You said in your first post that it was 3.0.0.4.380 but your screenshot looks like Merlin's 386.4.

If you're using Merlin's firmware go to Tools - System Information and check the status of "HW acceleration".

What firmware are you using? You said in your first post that it was 3.0.0.4.380 but your screenshot looks like Merlin's 386.4.

If you're using Merlin's firmware go to Tools - System Information and check the status of "HW acceleration".
Yeah i was copying the Stick info from the router, i'm using the lattest fw AsusWRT "386.5_beta 1", before 386.4.

I had in mind the CPU could be the factor of not showing above 1000 or just 1000.. I know, 900 is a great number, just wanted to know and see it at the max :p

Because got one mate that also has 1Gb, his router is also dual core but is 1400Mhz and can get around 1021, more 100Mbps..

I will check that option latter, but i'm almost sure of the limitations of the cpu ;)

Because got one mate that also has 1Gb, his router is also dual core but is 1400Mhz and can get around 1021, more 100Mbps.

Wrong measurement. Gigabit Ethernet is up to ~940Mbps. If you are getting ~900Mbps already - there is nothing to fix.

I will check that option latter

Based on the screenshot alone, you have NAT acceleration enabled (the speed >300Mbps) and TrendMicro engine disabled (the low RAM utilization). In this configuration you can squeeze the max throughput AC68U is capable of. Your speed tests are good as well.

Wrong measurement. Gigabit Ethernet is up to ~940Mbps. If you are getting ~900Mbps already - there is nothing to fix.
1GB is around 1024MB, and our's ISP's on my Country always give it a little more that the contract.. For example had 500MB before and got always above that (~520). Units have always confused me, but I think I should see all numbers above or equal to 1000. I can be wrong i apologyse for that, but i have a close example of a mate with the same ISP, same Gigabyte connection and has1021Mb... The only diference is the Brand of the Router, and CPU is at 1.4ghz but still dual core.

Based on the screenshot alone, you have NAT acceleration enabled (the speed >300Mbps) and TrendMicro engine disabled (the low RAM utilization). In this configuration you can squeeze the max throughput AC68U is capable of. Your speed tests are good as well.
That's what i'm trying to say xD My english is not great, so the capabilities from my router are at max, but not my ISP connection. So a more powerfull router can get me more. That's my point :p

So a more powerfull router can get me more

No. You are still limited by Gigabit ports - around 940Mbps. A faster CPU router can run more things, maintaining high speed.

Read below, the information is presented in easy to understand way:

No. You are still limited by Gigabit ports - around 940Mbps. A faster CPU router can run more things, maintaining high speed.
Ok understood :p So for more i need atleast an 2.5 Lan output, since my Computer already has on 2.5Gb lan port.

Most likely I won't get upset about it because I already get good results.

Thank you for the explanations ;)

So for more i need atleast an 2.5 Lan output, since my Computer already has on 2.5Gb lan port.

Yes, but you need 2.5GbE WAN port + 2.5GbE LAN port. Very few consumer routers have more than one 2.5GbE port.

Here is an example of one:

Routers with single 2.5GbE port (used as WAN) can eventually achieve >Gigabit aggregate traffic to multiple devices, but no single device will get above 940Mbps when connected to Gigabit ports. Gigabit on Wi-Fi is tough as well, you need clients upgrade to AX and 160MHz wide channel support.

Your ISP speed change/upgrade is only dragging you to spend more money for no reason. What more you can do with 1200Mbps compared to 900Mbps? The 2-3 seconds saved time in downloads will cost you $500 or more. The Internet browsing experience >100Mbps is all the same. You decide if it's a good idea. I would upgrade the router for better Wi-Fi, not for 2.5GbE port option.

Read below, the information is presented in easy to understand way:

It's amusing to see that that website "stole" that information verbatim from here but forgot to include the images so some of it make little sense. :rolleyes:

Yes, but you need 2.5GbE WAN port + 2.5GbE LAN port. Very few consumer routers have more than one 2.5GbE port.

Here is an example of one:

Routers with single 2.5GbE port (used as WAN) can eventually achieve >Gigabit aggregate traffic to multiple devices, but no single device will get above 940Mbps when connected to Gigabit ports. Gigabit on Wi-Fi is tough as well, you need clients upgrade to AX and 160MHz wide channel support.

Your ISP speed change/upgrade is only dragging you to spend more money for no reason. What more you can do with 1200Mbps compared to 900Mbps? The 2-3 seconds saved time in downloads will cost you $500 or more. The Internet browsing experience >100Mbps is all the same. You decide if it's a good idea. I would upgrade the router for better Wi-Fi, not for 2.5GbE port option.
The cost does not justify the purpose.

Thank you for opening my eyes, and for your words. I became clear.

Thank you all, and have a nice day :p

You are very welcome, @Xcat2008.

You can still upgrade your router, but for better Wi-Fi speeds and eventually* range. Newer routers support AC Wave 2 standards and your existing AC clients will get some speed boost as well. Newer AX86U model is quite popular and @ColinTaylor can share direct comparison details with you.

* - results may vary in different regions due to different local RF regulations.

I apologize for digging up this Post.
When i do those commands also my router got really slow lol I guess blocks also to 100Mhz... But in the Web Browser shows 1200Mhz lol... The only fix to make it work normal again is SSH again and instead of 1200/800 change for the original values (1000 / 666).

My RT-AC68U data:
F/W Ver.: 3.0.0.4.380
H/W Ver.: E1

Any change of sucefull Overclock? For VPN performance and also ISP speed's, 1GB connecting getting around "only" 900 Mb.. And i'm sure is because if the CPU, while speedtest 2 cores at 100%.

Thanks

I believe it was stated before that this firmware version cannot be overclocked. And a CFE replacement can brick it. This is what I recall but have no reference to give you. May get more info going through older posts here or searching for 3.0.0.4.380...

nvram set clkfreq=1200,800 && nvram commit && reboot
I tried this on my ac68u, and it really boost my performance, but it roll back to 800,666 by itself at a later time. How change the clkfreq permanently?

I tried this on my ac68u, and it really boost my performance, but it roll back to 800,666 by itself at a later time. How change the clkfreq permanently?

As long as you have an older RT-AC68U, and you must if you are able to overclock it temporarily try @ironclad's method (this is the method I use--also covered earlier in post #31 of this thread):

Don't specifically remember if this will work on stock ASUS firmware (?) as well as Asus Merlin Firmware (it does).

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!