What's new

Anyone else using Amazon S3 with Synology DSM?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevech

Part of the Furniture
I am experimenting with the use of Amazon's S3 as the off-site backup for key folders on my DS212. Not the entire NAS (which includes backups of other PCs - I don't need backups to the second power!).

Once I figured out Amazon AWS, then S3, setting up the Synology to do scheduled backups of selected VIP folders was a 1 minute task. Alas, my 1Mbps upstream (cable modem) makes it slow and steady, first time through.

The first 5GB is free. After that, the Reduced Reliability storage option on S3 (99.99% availability) is about ten cents per month for up to 1TB. The higher reliability is about 25% more. Since I'm doing only key folders, it'll be free or almost so. My full backups are to a nearby USB3 external out of sight drive.

From the S3 managment console (browser access) you can see what's there, browse, download, upload, make public shares, etc.

(An irrelevant tangent: I've also played with Amazon AWS free virtual machines. Amazing choice of some 75 pre-configured Win server and various other OSes, where pre-configured (AMIs as they're called), are setup with the OS and apps pre-installed, say, web server and SQL server, or WordPress or whatever. Pretty interesting. I tried Win server 2008 (an AMI) with no apps. I was then able to remote desktop in from my PC. Speed was good, even though this was the cheap/free VM (AMI). Then I loaded Firefox and other goodies. Nice. Alas, it's free for just 12 months. Then, for light duty, it's about $75/year.)

this is just FYI; I have no stake in Amazon.

Last edited:
I'm not using it yet (visiting this forum researching purchase of a Synology or QNAS box)... but I hope that they will quickly support the new Amazon Glacier slow cloud storage, which seems tailor-made for cloud backup of exactly this sort.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!