What's new

Anyone try Alpha 384.6

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
With 384_20942 and 382_50470, the entire httpd code is closed source for about 2/3 of the models, making it impossible for me to use that GPL for all these models. I'm still trying to get an answer as to whether this was intentional, temporary, or their future direction for all models (since right now it only applies to some models). So far still no answer, and no 384_21045 GPL either to see if they've changed course since the 20942 release.

So right now, the only models I can compile under 20942 are the AC88U/AC3100/AC5300.

:|

I like many others bought numerous asus routers since 2012 because of your work Eric (so many that in fact i've lost track). And in turn ended up outfitting everyone in my family with asus routers.

I think I'd have to seriously consider going back to dd-wrt if that's the case or take another look at untangle running on the linksys wrt router. I loved the fact that your firmware was stock+ and didn't have many of the headaches of the netgear and dd-wrt gear i ran up to that point with easy access to updates that frankly were unheard of at the time.

Last edited:
Until I hear back from Asus, there's no need to panic. The current situation is more confused as it may seem, since the level of source openness varies between models even when they are all on the same 20945 release. That's why I'm not sure which direction they are actually headed for yet, and I'll need to hear back from them to know which way things are going.
Hi Eric ...
From what you've seen so far, is there any model which latest source code is more open than its previous version ?
Thanks for your support.

I think ... unfortunately we have entering a uncertainty phase, in which there is no longer certainty of anything ... we do not even know in which direction we are going ... the world balances are changing ... it's the phase that comes before the total chaos ... and everything will never be like before.

. it's the phase that comes before the total chaos ... and everything will never be like before.

Or this was just a error or over site on Asus part and it will be corrected and all will move forward. One must remember although many people on this forum have bought Asus routers (myself included) because of Eric's code the vast majority of Asus consumers have no idea this forum is even here, don't run third party firmware and don't care. So Eric's code as good as it is does not drive the Asus router market in any meaningful way as far a units sold. Just my 2 penny's

Hi Eric ...
From what you've seen so far, is there any model which latest source code is more open than its previous version ?
Thanks for your support.

Until I hear more from them, I can't tell you for sure. Normally, they should all have the same amount of closed source code. The fact that there are differences between models with that latest GPL only confirms that there's some miscommunication internally as to how to package them. Hopefully the mistake is with those that are closed, and ultimately all models will revert back to having at most just that one single file that was closed for the AC88U and AC3100. That file would force me to remove one or two relatively minor features (JFFS backup/restoring over the webui ie one of them, I haven't done a complete analysis yet), but overall I could live with that if it's the best compromise.

384.6-Alpha installed by overlay on 384.5, no issues on my AC86U & AC87U (AP). Web pages seem a little snappier/quicker then before.

installed alpha1 over 384.5 - no issues noticed so far on my RT-AC3200. Most clients are 5Ghz or wired. Use QOS, AI protection, time machine

Ah yes that post.. tbh it was too long ago to remember exactly what I did. Perhaps a nvram reset... Though my cable modem was also updated by my ISP. But it hasn't occurred recently. Even when it did in April it was no connectivity across all interfaces and wasn't a loss of 2.4 in particular.

That seems another issue I've seen people reporting but not noticed myself. I almost entirely use wired / powerline / 5Ghz ... So 2.4 isn't that relevant to me.i guess I have an old Chromecast or two l

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am seeing this in the log since upgrading
Jun 21 22:38:53 kernel: [tdts_shell_ioctl_stat:256] Recv ioctl req with op 2
Jun 21 22:39:23 kernel: br0: received packet on eth6 with own address as source address
Jun 21 22:47:23 kernel: br0: received packet on eth5 with own address as source address
Jun 21 22:47:24 kernel: br0: received packet on eth6 with own address as source address

I and many others are not impressed with Asus for reasons that I will mentioned a little later in this post. I bought Asus routers because of Merlin's firmware and every motherboard I have ever bought has been from Asus. No more.

I have an Asus tablet (Zenpad 3S 10 Z500M) that I bought a few months ago. The last security update that Asus provided was in November last year. We were also promised Android 8 in the first half of the year. I realise that we have a week to go until that halfway point, but the way Asus has behaved, I am not holding my breath.

Cheers

DrTeeth

No answer from my first two contacts, third one said he'd get back to me after checking out (no news since). However the good news is, I got a first batch of 384_21045 GPLs. Downloaded a first one, and so far it has the necessary source code available for httpd (that model had a closed httpd.c in 20945). Hopefully it will be the same for the other models as well once I get their GPLs.

No answer from my first two contacts, third one said he'd get back to me after checking out (no news since). However the good news is, I got a first batch of 384_21045 GPLs. Downloaded a first one, and so far it has the necessary source code available for httpd (that model had a closed httpd.c in 20945). Hopefully it will be the same for the other models as well once I get their GPLs.

Thanks for the update.

Well, it's progress at least. Two out of the three GPLs have the same level of openness as before, the third one still has the same one single closed file as in 20945 (however I can work around that one for now).

The interesting part will be once they release the GPLs for the models that had fully closed httpd in 20945 to see what is happening with these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!