What's new

Anyone try Zotac ZBOX CI321 as a pfSense box?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

flowrider

Regular Contributor
Anyone? I've seen a few posts about it but no follow up.
This box seems pretty interesting to use for pfSense.

Neat little box - while one person mentioned Celeron, remember this is a dual core haswell (intel big core) not their low power Silvermont/Airmont chips, so it's faster than it looks...

2 gigE onboard adapters is a big plus for pfSense duties, and the SDCard slot, if it's bootable, would be a good thing, as one can load up the pfSense image there.

cool find!

Neat little box - while one person mentioned Celeron, remember this is a dual core haswell (intel big core) not their low power Silvermont/Airmont chips, so it's faster than it looks...

2 gigE onboard adapters is a big plus for pfSense duties, and the SDCard slot, if it's bootable, would be a good thing, as one can load up the pfSense image there.

cool find!

Their previous models could boot from SD, so there's a good chance this one might, as well.

I used to have a Zotac as my HTPC myself (plain Atom D525, did a fine job until I moved media playback duties to a NAS). They make pretty good products in their price range, compared to NUCs which can get quite expensive.

I think I read that it has realtek NIC chips which may not be the best for compatibility with pfSense. Right now I'm running an AC68 with Merlin's firmware for OpenVPN to Private Internet Access but it's halving my bandwidth although I love the ability to selectively apply the VPN access to specific devices via IP. I know you can do that with pfSense but it's much more difficult.