What's new

Apple TV 4K Sleep Ethernet Problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NightmareTuga

Regular Contributor
hello guys, first of all iam Portuguese, so sorry for my bad english.

I have Apple TV 4K(wired connection), i turn off(sleep mode), and when i turn on, i have to wait at least 5s to have internet again.

Router is an asus RT-AC86U

In logs router i see link down and up many times, but only when Apple TV 4K is in sleep mode.

How can i solve these problem?

Log file(these repets and repets and repets, every time apple tv is in sleep mode):

May 15 14:17:49 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex
May 15 14:22:55 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) Link DOWN.
May 15 14:22:58 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
May 15 14:23:28 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) Link DOWN.
May 15 14:23:30 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex
May 15 14:28:36 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) Link DOWN.
May 15 14:28:39 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) Link UP 1000 mbps full duplex
May 15 14:29:10 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) Link DOWN.
May 15 14:29:11 kernel: eth3 (Ext switch port: 2) (Logical Port: 10) Link UP 100 mbps full duplex

Best regards

That’s odd.

I have 2x Apple TV 4K (Ethernet) and 86U as well.
The Apple TV actually never shuts its interface down (you can still connect to it via Airplay/Remote etc) when it is in sleep.

So I would say the Apple TV is doing something unusual as it should never shut the interface down in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I also have Merlin

Maybe try a factory reset and make sure latest iOS on the ATV?

Try it connected to another switch/router to see if it behaves the same? I guess it could be an incompatibility thing (but would expect mine to also do it then).

Also try a different cable

Yes both my ATV are 4K 5th gen 64Gb

No, your Apple TV unit is fine.

This is a very very very very very VERY long-standing issue with the Apple TV 4K (and newer models, possibly).

There are multiple mentions of this issue on all of the official Apple support forums, as well as many of the user forums like the Apple Reddit and so forth...

2 solutions:

1. Don't use ethernet, use 5ghz wifi instead

2. Continue to use ethernet, but use a STATIC IP instead of DHCP (my preferred solution for the past 2 years)
For some reason, when the Apple TV 4K uses a wired Ethernet connection with a Static IP address, instead than DHCP, this problem does not appear.

Try one of the options and let me know how it goes.

What problem does this issue with the AppleTV cause, just annoying log entries?

Well, the annoying log entries are because it's constantly turning on and off the ethernet port. Maybe there are long term ramifications to such behaviour? I dunno.

Putting the device on a Static IP prevents that behaviour.

I have an AppleTV 4K wired and Cisco and it runs fine. I would not want the wireless load on my WI-FI.

Keeping the Apple TV 4K on wired ethernet with DHCP enabled does not actually cause any major issues - for the most part, it continues to work fine.

However, some people find it annoying to see their Network Switch constantly light on and off (due to the port turning on and off) or seeing their router log get flooded with messages.

Keeping the Apple TV 4K on wired ethernet with DHCP enabled does not actually cause any major issues - for the most part, it continues to work fine.

However, some people find it annoying to see their Network Switch constantly light on and off (due to the port turning on and off) or seeing their router log get flooded with messages.

Then I would choose wired over wireless. I don't see any errors on my Cisco system and the Cisco SG200-8 switch light stays on even when the AppleTV's light is off.

Maybe you should add a switch.

PS
My Cisco SG200-8 switch is old from 2011. Still supported by Cisco.

Last edited:
I have exactly the problem with my Apple TV 4K. The constant disconnecting and connecting continuously filled the log file. Since then, the device has been running via WiFi 5Ghz.

Then I would choose wired over wireless. I don't see any errors on my Cisco system and the Cisco SG200-8 switch light stays on even when the AppleTV's light is off.

Maybe you should add a switch.

PS
My Cisco SG200-8 switch is old from 2011. Still supported by Cisco.

As I mentioned in my post above, anyone who suffers from this issue can alleviate it by disabling DHCP on the Apple TV - and going with a static IP.

For a device that sits in one place (like an Apple TV) going with static IP is not really a big deal.

No, your Apple TV unit is fine.

This is a very very very very very VERY long-standing issue with the Apple TV 4K (and newer models, possibly).

There are multiple mentions of this issue on all of the official Apple support forums, as well as many of the user forums like the Apple Reddit and so forth...

2 solutions:

1. Don't use ethernet, use 5ghz wifi instead

2. Continue to use ethernet, but use a STATIC IP instead of DHCP (my preferred solution for the past 2 years)
For some reason, when the Apple TV 4K uses a wired Ethernet connection with a Static IP address, instead than DHCP, this problem does not appear.

Try one of the options and let me know how it goes.
Thank you, yes i will give feedback

Can you turn off power save on the switch? It might be a quick fix.

Has anybody tried adding a switch? Does it fix it?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!