What's new

Apple's New AirPort Extreme Offers No Innovation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CNET Review of Apple's new AEBS 6th Gen

I went back and re-read the review.....and frankly I think the dude was drunk during the whole video episode! :) I should be ashamed of myself for posting it. :mad: Tim's review will be forthcoming and will be light years ahead of CNETS!:D

I went back and re-read the review.....and frankly I think the dude was drunk during the whole video episode! :) I should be ashamed of myself for posting it. :mad: Tim's review will be forthcoming and will be light years ahead of CNETS!:D
I really enjoyed the review. I thought it was funny and light-hearted -- after all, it's "just" a Wifi access point, not the cure for cancer. And just to be clear, I own an Airport Extreme 802.11ac.

jovial and light hearted

Just like my assessment....jovial and light hearted. I own the 5th gen and it has been rock solid. :D Eventually I'll upgrade when we get AC clients. For now we're streaming along great.

For me, back in the days of the WRT54gl, increasing transmit power improved throughput when in my back yard on the dell inspiron 8600.

While all packets need to be acknowledged, the radios in modern routers are often more sensitive than whats in the wifi client.

For example at the time when I was using the WRT54GL, I was also using a windows mobile pocket PC (dell axim x51V ) and boosting the transmit power caused a clean improvement in range (the axim has a crappy wifi antenna ) (I got around an extra 50 feet out of the WRT54GL when connecting with the dell axim x51V)

It will not always improve range, but when dealing with crappy wifi radios with crappy sensitivity, a higher transmit power can significantly boost range.

If your wifi radio allows you to view upload and download connect rate separately, upping the transmit power will usually improve the download connect rate (though at the cost of lowering throughput when you are very close to the router (probably receiver overload).

When a router can reliably use a high transmit power then it gets around the router being a bottleneck, thus allowing the wifi client to be working at it's best for range and throughput.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!